Yin & Yang // Jay x Nya

After episode 97, we can probably all us some serious Jaya fluff 😊.

This one shot is actually not a one shot but a second part to the previous chapter 😉.

It was a request by Jeleego , who is also the artist of the picture above (used with their permission). Btw, please check out their Artbook, it has some of the most amazing Ninjago (especially 'new season Jaya') fanart!

Couple of things to note:

- In SoG, it was shown that all the Ninja (including Nya) are sharing a bedroom on the Destiny's Bounty.

- I still find the 'Jay asking Nya to be his Yang' thing a bit weird, because traditionally Yang is the male part and Yin the female, but I'm still gonna do it the way it's in the show.

- Pretty sure this won't be canon when episode 98 comes out 😉.

Yin & Yang // Jay x Nya

Even through the heavy wooden door, the skilled Water Ninja could hear the sound of someone crying on the other side.

And it broke her heart. Not only seeing - or hearing - her usually so cheerful boyfriend being this miserable, but also knowing that she, although unintentionally, had caused it.

Taking a deep breath, she raised her gloved hand and knocked gently, ignoring the confused looks that some of the Bounty's current guests from NGTV News were giving her.

Sure, she was knocking on the door to her own bedroom, but right now she was going to invade his privacy. Also, while sharing a room with her five male teammates, Nya had gotten quite used to knocking anyway, just so that she wouldn't accidentally run into one of the guys changing.

No response.

Nya leaned her head against the dark door which was separating her from the love of her life.

"Jay, it's me." She said softly. "I'm gonna come in, okay?"

Still no answer, but at least he hadn't objected, so Nya slowly opened the door and stepped into the dimly lit quarters.

The blue Ninja was sitting on Cole's bed, clenching a crumbled piece of paper in his hands and tears streaming down his freckled cheeks.

"Hey." Nya forced a weak smile. "M-may I?" She gestured at the spot next to him.

He raised his head, his beautiful blue eyes were red and puffy - not that Nya's were any better - as he looked at her. "H-hey." He scooted a bit to the side, and Nya took this as an invitation to sit down.

"Whatcha got there?" She tried - but failed miserably- to sound cheerful as she pointed at his clenched fist. Cheering someone up really wasn't her forte, and even less so when she was feeling awful herself, but she still had to try. Ninja don't give up - Nya had learned that the hard way, back when she had first become the Water Ninja.

Jay slowly opened his hand, revealing a photo, creased and soaked with tears, showing the blue and black Ninja fighting back to back at Master Chen's Tournament of Elements. While Nya hadn't been there herself, she knew it was taken moments after, following months of arguing, the two best friends had finally made up.

"Just b-before that fight, I-I told him he was the l-least valuable N-ninja." Jay sniffed. "A-and I-I've never told him that I didn't m-mean it."

"I'm sure he knew that." Nya wrapped her arm around his shivering frame, just as Kai had done to her only minutes ago.

"If anyone deserves to be the least valuable Ninja, it's gotta be m-me." Jay continued. "Wh-when he f-fell, I couldn't do anything, I j-just watched and screamed - a-as I always do..."

"Jay, there was absolutely nothing you could have done." Nya's fingers were playing with his slightly sticky auburn curls. "If you had tried to save him, you would have fallen down yourself."

And just the mere thought of this scenario sent new shivers down Nya's spine, and she could feel some fresh tears gathering in her eyes.

"Maybe that would have been better." Jay stated dryly. "Or if I had fallen instead of him. Really, it should have been m-."

"Don't you dare finishing that sentence, Jay Walker." Nya harshly interrupted her boyfriend, letting go of him as she jumped up. She placed her hands on her hips. "It shouldn't have been anyone. And it wouldn't, if I hadn't made that mistake."

"N-nya..." Jay's slumped down, taken aback by her outburst. "I-I'm sorry, I-"

"No, I'm sorry." She said, more gently, as tears began escaping her eyes. She sighed as she sat down again, keeping some distance between herself and Jay this time. "It's just that... it's hard for me, knowing that my mistake has killed one of my closest friends. But... just imagining that i-it could have easily been y-you..."

Nya pressed her hand against her mouth to stifle her sobs, but to no avail. As violent sobs once more racked her body, she could feel Jay's arms wrapping themselves around her, pulling her towards him. She rested her head against his chest, hearing his steady heartbeat, feeling his warmth and inhaling his comforting scent as he gently ran his fingers over her raven hair.

I came here to comfort him, not the other way 'round. Nya reminded herself. Don't be the most useless Ninja.

And, as much as she just wanted to stay like this forever, she wriggled out of his hold and pulled back, looking right into his eyes.

"A-and that's why I refused to talk to you earlier." She explained." I just... didn't want to think about that. And I was scared to admit how relieved I was that you were alright, physically at least. But I certainly didn't mean to upset you even more."

She cupped his face with her hand, brushing her thumb over the wet cheeks.

"In our team, we're all equally important." She claimed. "Nobody is the least or most valuable Ninja. B-but in my heart, you are one of the most important people. So you gotta promise me that you'll never even think about dropping off a ladder into the Darkness or getting crushed by a massive stone giant or-or... well, do anything that could take you away from me, okay?"

"Wow." Jay gasped. "I-I had no idea..."

"Promise." Nya demanded.

"I-I promise." He said as firmly as he could, flashing her a loving smile through his tears, "You'll never get rid of me."

"And you'll never get rid of me, either." Nya returned the smile. "We belong together.Like peas and carrots, or peanut butter and jelly [🤢🤢🤢], or Yin and Yang, or..."

"Y-yin and Y-yang?" Jay asked, eyes wide open in surprise. "You-you really mean that?"

"Of course." Nya leaned towards him and whispered. "Jay Walker, will you let me be your Yang?"