Like A Ghost

"This is getting out of hand!"  Pacifica murmured, running up the steps to Gleeful Manor. She knocked on the door furiously. "Mabel! Open the door!"

Mabel opened the door and stared down at Pacifica. "Pacifica? It's really late, you really shouldn't be here, do your parents know where you are?"

In the past several weeks that Pacifica had been in Reverse Falls, she had grown really close to Mabel Gleeful. She was technically her only friend here, which was kind of sad, considering Mabel was nearly twenty-two.

Pacifica couldn't directly answer Mabel's question. "Sorry, do you mind if I stay here for the night?"

Mabel looked down at the girl. "What's wrong?"

Pacifica was close to crying. "My parents are fighting again!" She exclaimed, wiping her eyes. "They thought moving here would fix their problems, but they seem to-"

"Shh. . ." Mabel whispered. "Calm down, you can stay in one of the guest's rooms on the second floor. Go get yourself cleaned up, I'm sure I have some old clothes that you can wear."

Pacifica hugged Mabel, "thank you, for this." She walked into the house and up the stairs to where she would be staying.

The room was at the end of the hall, and it was dark. Pacifica had already gotten in the pajamas that Mabel let her keep. They were a little big, but they fit somewhat, especially since they were her old clothes.

Pacifica was sitting by the window, wondering why the room was so dusty. Mabel was already asleep in her own bedroom, and the only one awake was Pacifica. She was close to sleeping already, and she thought about her parents' fight.

"What are you doing in my room?"

Pacifica looked up and saw a boy, not far from her own age, maybe a year older, staring daggers at her. "You are not allowed in this room, you shouldn't be here. Get out of here, now!" His eyes flashed, due to the moonlight shining in the room from the window.

Pacifica was confused. She was positive that Mabel was the only one living in the Manor, so who was this guy? "W-what?" She asked, moving away from the window. "Who are you?"

"I repeat," the boy said, angrier. "Get out of here now."

Pacifica gulped and stared back the boy. His brown hair was slightly messy, and his eyes were the prettiest blue she had ever seen. "I don't want to go back to my house." She whispered, looking down.

"Well that's unfortunate," he snapped. "Now leave."

"But I don't want to go home!" She cried. "My parents are screaming at each other and I dunno when it'll stop." She hugged herself.

The boy straightened his posture. "How old are you?" He asked after a beat of silence.

Pacifica bit her lip, "I'm twelve years old. What's it to you?"

He looked more concerned than angry. "And your parents are fighting?"

She nodded. "They've always seemed to have problems with each other. . .but I don't want them to get divorced." She sniffled.

His face dropped the look of anger and turned sympathetic. "Sometimes, it's better for them."

"But what about me?" She asked, turning her eyes back to him. She hadn't realized how pale his skin was, but she was mostly drawn to his eyes.

"Would you rather have them fighting for the rest of your and their life, or be happy?" He plainly asked.

"H-happy." She stuttered.

"Then you should just let them settle their differences themselves." He concluded.

"How do you know all this?" She queried.

"My parents used to fight all the time, and I hated it, maybe more than you did." He sighed and shook his head. "It never solved anything, and it was completely pointless to try and stop them."

"So how old are you?" She asked, feeling more comfortable with him. "I mean, I told you my age, so tell me yours."

"Thirteen." He replied, grimly. "I don't like being thirteen, I actually want to do stuff with my life."

"Like what?" Pacifica was more interested.

"I like to play piano, and I really want to travel the world." His eyes should have sparkled when he talked about the things he liked, Pacifica knew that especially. But his eyes stayed the same cool icy blue, no happiness seen in their depths. "Now, you should get to bed."

Pacifica crawled in bed, smiling to herself. "Goodnight. . .thank you for telling me this." She whispered.

"You're welcome," he nodded solemnly and began to walk out of the room.

"Wait!" She called to him, and he stopped walking away. "My name's Pacifica. What's yours?" She asked.

"Dipper."

* * *

"Mabel?" Pacifica asked as the brunette served her breakfast.

"Hmm?" Mabel asked, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Do you have a little brother?" She asked, hoping she'd see Dipper around. More specifically, she wanted to see him today.

But Mabel froze. A wave of sadness crashed over her features, but no tears. She cleared her throat. "Yes, I did have a little brother." She chuckled, trying to amuse herself. "Well, I was only five minutes older than him."

"What happened to him?" Pacifica gasped, getting upset herself.

"Well, one night, our parents were in this awful fight." Mabel sat down beside Pacifica. "They were screaming and yelling at each other, and my brother didn't like it. So, he went up to them and told them to stop, that it was scaring him." She took another shaky sip of her coffee.

"What happened next?" Pacifica whispered, leaning forward.

"My dad yelled at him, telling him that he shouldn't interrupt adult's conversations, and he slapped him across the face, telling him that it was his punishment." Mabel said, bitterly. "My mother, however, did not like that my father was treating him like that, and continued screaming at him, but my brother was crying now. He was sad, because he knew our family was being torn apart. So, he ran. He ran out the door and into the rain, with my parents not knowing that he ran.

"I called after him and tried my best to run after him, but my parents held me back and asked what the heck I was doing. I told them that he had ran off into the rain because of them." She gulped again and sighed, "they were scared for him and ushered us all into the car so we could get him."

Pacifica waited for Mabel to continue, but she had stopped. She wondered how this story ended, but she felt sad for Mabel.

Mabel swallowed and it looked like she had tears in the corners of her eyes, "we were searching for him for two days. We looked for two days, looking for him." She shivered. "He never showed up back at home, I thought it was because he had gone off to live with some of our other relatives, but," she chuckled bitterly, "boy was I wrong."

Pacifica gave Mabel a confused look, and Mabel noticed right away. She took another sip of her coffee and put the mug down before continuing. "They pulled his body out of the lake the same day we stopped looking. Part of me still wonders if Dipper meant to drown, just to teach our parents a lesson-"

"Whoa whoa wait." Pacifica interrupted. "His name is Dipper?"

Mabel nodded slowly. "Yes, why?"

Pacifica took a shaky breath. "I think I met him."