Chapter 50

The Winter Soldier Project.

"W-what is this?" You frown nervously.

"I um, I think you should just read it for yourself," Steve says in a surprisingly gravely voice. "It's really not good at all if it's true."

The first thought that comes to your head is a peculiar one.

I'm going to have to plan my husbands second funeral.

Now that's something no one else ever has had or ever will have to say.

You notice after looking closer that his eyes are rimmed with red. Has he been crying?

"O-ok," you stutter out.

"And before you do, just know that you're the only person I've told. Only you and me know about this. I will eventually tell Peggy and Howard but I just want your input first," he explains.

You nod and swallow the lump in your throat before opening the first page and starting to read.

The Winter Soldier Project:

Test Subject No. 1: Sergeant James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes

The Winter Soldier Project is a newly developed idea by Hydra involving the brainwashing of a victim to induce mind controlling techniques. The subject will be injected with Hydra's version of the Super Soldier Serum which will gives them major enhancements to their physiology, speed, stamina, healing abilities, brain capacity and strength. Along with this they will then undergo intense training to ensure that they have the highest skill set in a variety of different battle techniques including assassination, marksmanship, sniper work, fighting, knife work, martial arts, multilingualism, expert piloting and acrobatics. When Hydra Operatives are satisfied with the test subjects improvement in abilities they will be used in many missions to help eliminate and terminate targets and threats. To prevent ageing and minimise the possibility of death, injury or capture, the Winter Soldier will be stored in cryostasis between missions.

Sergeant Barnes is perfect as our first test subject because Dr Zola already started work on him during World War Two. During this time he was already given a trial of the serum which worked meaning that he has already had time to master his enhanced abilities so between the brainwashing and mind control and some training, time before he can be sent on his first mission should not be long.

If Sergeant Barnes proves a worthy candidate and a successful case it is possible that in the future Hydra will introduce more Winter Soldiers.

The name "Winter Soldier" comes from the Siberian fighting techniques they are being trained in and the fact that they are being stored in cryostasis majority of the time.

The Winter Soldier, formerly known as "Bucky Barnes" file:

"What's cryostasis?" You ask filled with dread.

"It's basically when they freeze someone but they're still alive," Steve says grimly, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh," is all you can get out. "And they're doing all of this to Bucky?"

"It looks like it. But you need to keep reading it's important, but also worse I will warn you," he states.

As you turn the next page you feel as though you might throw up. To say you're in shock would be an understatement. You have so many questions and you don't want to go on but your eyes are glued to the page.

What you see is absolutely horrific, you would never wish it on anybody.

The pages are filled with pictures of Bucky and paragraphs stating anything from updates in his transformation to ways that they have punished him for whatever reason.