Chapter 123

"James!" You gasp and shriek the second the splash of him hitting the water starts to echo in your ears.

You rush over to the spot where he fell only to see thousands of tiny bubbles fizzing to the surface. Just as they disperse you can see through the churned up water as his body sinks and hits the bottom of the pool.

"Bucky!" You cry out again.

You don't know why but you just freeze up. Quite easily - and what you should do is - you could just jump in and grab him. But instead you find yourself just standing there in shock, tears already blurring your eyes as the moment he fell replays over and over in your mind, the look on his face just seconds before seemingly in full HD.

Then all of a sudden someone comes rushing past you and jumps straight in the water. The flash of blonde hair that you catch gives it away that it is Steve. You shouldn't be surprised, really. Next thing you know Sam is right there beside you, grabbing you by the shoulders as you stagger backwards. A sob escapes your lips as Steve resurfaces and drags a seemingly lifeless looking Bucky up after him. Same let's you go and helps lift him out of the water. You can hear the gasps of everyone around the place as they start to notice the commotion and see what's going on.

"Come on Barnes, can you here me? Come on man." He mumbles quietly to himself as he lays him out on the concrete tiling surrounding the pool.

You just break down crying, falling to your knees right before them. Bucky's arms and legs just flop out on the ground, his head lolling to the side, eyes closed and mouth ajar, his hair plastered to his face.

Steve jumps straight out of the water and crouches next to Bucky's body opposite Sam. As Sam slaps him on the cheek Steve places his hand against Bucky's chest and leans down to try and see if he's breathing.

"Oh my god he's drowned!" You hear someone scream as everyone zeros in on the four of you, forming a crowd around you.

"He hasn't drowned, he was hardly in the water for thirty seconds, it's something else." Steve grunts in frustration, remaining concentrated though but also wanting the crowd to remain calm.

"What's going on? What happened?" Peggy exclaims in concern as she barges through the crowd. "Oh my god!"

You look up just in time to see the horror on her face as she comes across the scene.

You get to your feet and rush over to her, collapsing against her, burying your head in the crook of her neck.

"Oh Peggy." You sob.

"What happened?" She repeats in a whimper as she starts to stroke your back.

"I don't know, he just fell." You shake your head and try to explain but you know yourself that it's basically inaudible.

"He's not breathing." You hear Steve mutter causing you to gasp and look up at them again only to see that Bucky has gone deathly pale.

"Buck! Bucky! Can you hear me? Bucky come on don't do this to me man!" He exclaims as he starts slapping him on the cheek more harshly than Sam was.

Sam himself moves to start CPR, but just as he places his hands in the centre of Bucky's chest he starts to seizure violently.

"Bucky!" You wail and try to break away from Peggy to race over to him, but she catches you by the hand and holds you back.

"(Y/N) no," she says with sad eyes.

"Peggy please!" You sob as you tug away from her, looking frantically back at your husband as he convulses on the ground, twitching rigidly yet looking so stiff.