Chapter 69

You rush around the house in a mad panic, trying to get things clean and tidy and make a decent afternoon tea. You could swear you're more excited for Petra to come over than Luke. There's no denying he's nervous, it's obvious he likes her but he's just good at hiding it.

You organised with him that he was going to walk her home by himself because he knew the way well enough and he didn't want you or Isla to come along and embarrass him. So you agreed because that gave you a chance to get things organised around the house and hopefully get Isla and Theo settled down for a nap to give everyone some peace. Plus you aren't really feeling up to much today, you just feel like you have no energy.

Bucky is slowly getting back to normal, he's just been taking it easy around the house the last few days, as he has been a lot lately. He's currently taking a nap and you cannot help but be extremely jealous of him. But that's one thing you've noticed over the last few days with him, that anxiety attack has not just taken an emotional toll on him but a physical one too; he's been absolutely exhausted ever since.

Finally you get some ham, cheese and salad sandwiches made up and piled on a plate nicely with some apple slices. Normally you wouldn't make this much effort for afternoon snacks but you want to make Petra feel welcome. It seems you get things done just in time because you are just placing the plate on the table when the door swings open.

"Hey mum we're home!" Luke beams as you straighten up and rest a hand on your belly to take the two of them in.

Petra really is a pretty little cute thing. Now that you can see her up close she has a little button nose and a dusting of freckles with these amazing green eyes. Luke was right about her and he's definitely very lucky if he's got a girl like hers attention.

"Oh! Hey guys." You beam at them.

"Mum this is my friend Petra. Petra this is my mum," Luke says and introduces the two of you.

"Hi Petra it's so lovely to finally meet you. Luke's told me a lot about you. I'm Mrs Barnes but please, call me (Y/N)." You smile warmly and shake her hand lightly.

Out of the corner of your eye you can see Luke eyeing you as if to say don't you dare say anything to embarrass me. You have to laugh to yourself, knowing that you're already pushing the boundary. He doesn't need to worry though, you're excited but you're not going to ruin this for Luke.

"The same to you Mrs Barnes. Thank you so much for having me over," she says back extremely politely with a cute little grin.

You move to give Luke a hug.

"I've got some afternoon tea laid out for you guys just over there. Go crazy, you don't have to eat at the table. How was school?" You ask.

"Good." Petra nods, answering before Luke. "We had physical activity today so we got to spend lots of time outside which is always fun."

"Yeah it was tonnes of fun mum. We got to play tag," Luke agrees. "And I always got you Petra haha!" He adds teasingly.

You mentally facepalm, you'll have to give him some advice on how to talk to girls if he wants to impress Petra.

"That's because you're a boy and boys are faster." Petra giggles.

"Well the weather is still nice, maybe you guys can go play in the front yard once you've eaten?" You suggest. "Petra do you know what time you have to be home by?"

"I think my mum said that if I'm not home by five she will come get me." She frowns in thought.

"Awesome, well if you're ready before then we'd be happy to walk you home." You smile.