Chapter 125

It's been two weeks now since Bucky has been on his meds and so far there hasn't been anymore episodes and you haven't seen any side effects. Which is great of course. You're feeling back to the way things were now and the kids seem to have gotten over the news of their dad having such serious brain trauma. Bucky himself seems great too, the first few days were a bit touch and go but now he reckons he feels better than he has in a long time. You can tell it too, he's more lively and even when he comes home from a long day of work and training at headquarters he's still so genuinely upbeat, whereas a lot of the time lately he's been tired or putting it on for the kids. But ever since he's been taking this drug every morning that Howard discovered you see a noticeable difference in his energy and therefore his mood. It's great. He's been coming home so happy and still having energy to do things with you guys in the evenings.

That is until today.

For starters, he shows up home around late noon which is strange, but you can tell by the stern set to his jaw that he's not happy about something. You can spot it all the way from standing by the kitchen window while he walks up the front path. 

"Why the long face?" You call out to him trying to remain light hearted as you go to meet him on the porch so that he can't sneak inside and try to cover whatever it is up.

He looks up to see you standing on the porch bouncing Lilly on your hip and instantly his face lights up a little more.

"Oh nothing." He grunts as he races up the stairs and swoops Lilly out of your arms, spinning around in a circle causing her to giggle before coming to settle her against his chest as he faces you.

You purse your lips and raise your eyebrows, putting your hands on your hips stubbornly expecting an answer.

He sighs and rolls his eyes. "Fine. We've got a mission to go on. Howard's picked up on some illegal weapons activity somewhere down south."

"What? Now? But Peggy's about to have that baby any day now!" You exclaim the first thing that comes to mind.

You just looks at you. "Haven't you realised that that always seems to be the way doesn't it? It never stopped us having to go when you were the one that was pregnant." He points out.

You huff and close your eyes for a second. "How long are you going to be gone for?" You ask the dreaded question.

He shrugs and grins sheepishly. "Not really sure on that one. Depends what it's like once we get there. If it's and easy fix or something that we are going to have to go under cover and get on the inside. It could be a couple of weeks."

Your jaw drops. "A couple of weeks?!"

"Sorry! It's not my fault! Or would you rather these illegal weapons get shipped out to who knows who for who knows what and who knows where?" He exclaims and puts his free hand up.

"I know, I know, your right. I'm sorry. It's fine. You can't help it. We will all be fine here. I'll look after Peggy." You sigh and pinch the bridge of your nose.

"Thank you doll." He smiles gratefully at you. "It'll be okay. We will be fine. I promise we will get in contact where we can and be back as soon as possible... I should probably add that we have to leave this afternoon though. Like within the hour."

"Good thing it's the weekend then so that the kids will get a chance to say goodbye." You remark flatly as you turn to head back inside. "We better get to helping you pack then shouldn't we?"

What else can you say? You're not mad but it's just always so disappointing.

He nods and follows you into the house guiltily.