Chapter 57

Despite how much better that second meeting with Bucky went you can't help but think one thing. There hasn't been a hug, kiss or a simple 'I love you' - a phrase passed around by you two constantly - since you've seen him. You didn't expect things to be perfect and you can understand why he's distant but the fact that he's acting stand offish still when the two of you have talked and you know you both still care so deeply for each other doesn't seem to have proved any advancement makes you slightly nervous. How long will this last? You're itching to feel his touch and love again.

Nevertheless you told him you would bring the kids over to see him tomorrow morning. He asked to come see them but you decided that that might just be a bit overwhelming so you're going to take things one step at a time and they'll come see him first where he is comfortable. He did however ask if you wouldn't mind telling them what happened to him alone because he doesn't think he could face them while saying all of that. Of course you completely understand and plan to do so, you just have to figure out how to not over complicate it or scare the younger two.

"Guys I've got the most exciting news for you!" You exclaim as you all sit down for dinner.

"What is it?!" Isla gasps, already wriggling around in her seat.

"Guess what? Daddy's back!" You beam, your heart swelling at the thought despite knowing it's not that great, but at least he's safe.

There is a collective gasp from all three of them, even Theo understands and Luke doesn't know this yet, but Islas reaction is by far the best. She just straight up bursts out crying.

"Really?" She sobs through her tears. "Is he back?"

"Yes baby he's back, but he's in hospital so we have to go see him tomorrow." You smile and nod trying to hold back your own tears brought on by her happiness.

"Ya-aa-aay!" She attempts to blubber. "I-I miss him s-so m-much."

"Me too." You nod.

"Dadda?" Theo frowns.

"Yes baby dadda's coming home." You beam.

He breaks out into a huge grin displaying his few baby teeth and starts clapping his hands wildly. "Yay! Yay! Yay! Dadda! Dadda! Dadda!"

You turn to Luke who although he looks excited looks worried too.

"Are you happy Luke? Dads back," you try to encourage him.

"Yeah but is..." he trails off.

"He's going to be okay." You whisper and nod, knowing what he's getting at. "But guys there is something I need to tell you and this isn't going to easy to hear."

"What is it?" Isla asks curiously.

"The reason daddy was gone for so long is because the bad guys that got him all those years ago - you remember that? - well, they got him again. So Uncle Steve had to spend a long time looking for him. And in that time the bad guys made daddy do bad things by putting bad thoughts in his head so that he didn't realise that what he was doing was wrong," you explain.

Isla's eyes go wide with fear. "I-is he going to keep being bad?"

"No sweetie, he's okay now because we got him back safely. But I want you to understand that he feels very bad about what happened so he might seem sad. He also looks very different because he's been gone so long. And it is so so so important that you guys know that none of what happened was his fault. He didn't realise he was doing it and the bad guys used him and did awful things to him," you say slowly.