School Romance

"I'll get us something to drink." He finally said after a long silence. I didn't respond or even glanced to him before he went off.

After he desperately pleaded to try love me, I remained quiet. I wasn't thinking over it or anything, it's just that I don't know what to think.

I thought getting rejected was the simplest solution rather than suffer but it was more complicated when he didn't want to.

Why did I even talked about rejection? I sighed loudly and put my head on my knees.

The soft sand under my feet somehow calmed my nerves. Must be because I was raised here and this is my home.

I guess after hearing what I never expected from him triggered something. All I wanted to hear was a 'Yes, I love you Elly.' never came to my ear except 'It's a secret.' which could indicate two answers.

He loves me and tried to be romantic or he doesn't love me but didn't want to hurt me.

Knowing there's a fifty percent for both answers meant I'm not as close to him being a mate as I thought I was.

"Hey." A voice broke my inner thoughts. Knowing it wasn't Kyle's voice, my head automatically looked up.

A smiling boy standing near me.

"Hey." I weakly answered and turned my attention towards the sand. My hands playing around with it.

"You're alone?" He asked but I never got to reply because he was already sitting beside me.

"Guess you are." He answered for himself.

"You okay?" He asked another question.

"I'm fine. What do you want Dan?" I asked him back after a short reply.

"Guess you're not." He said with a whistle.

"Guess you're not wanted here." I told him off.

"Betty." He suddenly called out my used-to-be-nickname-that-only-he-used.

"You know I hate that name." I told him with a glare.

"And you know your glares never hurt." He said and pinched my nose. I swapped his hand away and gave up my glaring.

"What do you want?" I asked again but a bit nicer.

"What happened to us?" He suddenly asked while ignoring my question again.

"Nothing." I told him. We dated back in high school with a cliche project backstory.

"We broke up, that's what happened." He corrected me.

"Normal dating stuff." I told him.

"I don't get it. We were so in love but one day you suddenly broke up with me." He said.

"And you left." He added and turned to face me.

"Missing for months and came back with another guy." He said with his eyes staring hard into me.

"I know you're not a slut because you would never let me kiss you. Always a peck on the cheeks. Loves reading so much that you don't even have time to talk with other guys. Yet alone, cheat with one." He explained as if I didn't know anything.

"We dated for a year and a half before you suddenly broke up with me at our favourite dating spot." He said.

I sighed. This is why my parents told me to never date anyone when their not your mate.

I knew every werewolf had a destined mate but I couldn't help but fell in love with him. He was funny and understands me so much.

Even our favourite dating spot was a book cafe that I spent most of my time reading and drinking hot tea like a total bookworm.