My mate & My friend

I was going to slide in the invitation card into Gwen's locker when it struck me that she wasn't going to come here for another two days. Tomorrow's a weekend and the last day to prepare Maya's birthday party.

"Hey-" Ted was running towards me with papers almost flying from his hands. He looked adorable especially with his bed hair which was obvious why the girls here love him to death.

"I can't believe girls line up for you." I chuckled as he stood in front of me.

He looked back from where he came from. The girls kept looking at him with a flirtatious smile and waved at him.

"What can I say? The girls dig me." He smugly waved back at them.

"Whatever playboy. So what happened?" Ted was called by our teacher when the school bell rang. He showed me the papers that almost flew away when he ran.

"Stupid teacher gave me extra assignments because I fell asleep in his class." All the football team has been tired since the school's big game was coming up next week so the coach has been drilling them nonstop.

"Good thing coach gave us two day rest."

"So what are you doing at Gwen's locker?" He eyed the locker and then the black card in my hand.

"Oh-" He gave me a sympathetic smile. Gwen and Maya has been missing from school since the last time I talked to them.

"Yeah- oh." I sighed and walked away from the locker.

"I'll just hand it over at her house. Lucky me, if she's there." I mumbled.

"I feel like their avoiding me ever since I told them to trust me." I let it out to Ted for the fifth time this day.

"Betty-" He pulled me to a stop.

"They are your best friends and you're their best friend. They would never hurt you on purpose but sometimes what they do does but that doesn't mean they're doing it for fun. Maybe they need time to tell you so just wait and trust them." He looked me straight in the eye as people walked passed us and out of the school front door.

"Do you know something?" He was talking as if he knew what they were doing.

"Betty-"

"You know what's going on. You know why Maya is always absent from school and why Gwen looks guilty every time I asked her about Maya." He sighed and reluctantly nodded.

"Tell me." I whispered out.

"I'm sorry." He shook his head and the frustration builds in.

"Why? You told me to wait and trust them. I am but it hurts every time when they're not here, when Gwen kept lying to me and avoiding me. I'm their friend and I'll wait but why are they treating me like I'm an outsider." I told him in defeat.

"I know but I'm not entitle to tell you their secret. It's theirs to keep and tell." He said with guilt evident in his voice.

"You're never going to tell me, are you?" I crossed my arms on my chest as I stared him with defeat.

"I am truly sorry Betty but I promise you they'll tell you pretty soon." He gave me an ensuring smile before pulling me out of school.

"I thought when they know my secret, they'll tell me theirs." I told him.

"They will. Trust me. I know." He squeezed my hand.

"I trust you and them." I had to wait for Max since he's my ride home.

"Before I forgot. Here." I gave him his invitation card and he gladly took it.

"Light me up?" He read.