A Big Surprise

Finally it's D-day and the swimming pool has been off-limits to outsiders and only to the member of Maya's birthday committee.

We had lemon-coloured balloons ready to be hung and water balloons in the kids pool because we were going to give her a wet surprise when she comes through that door.

The food was on it's way and the seashell necklaces were ready to be distributed once the party started.

"Food?"

"Delicious. Check."

"Drinks?"

"Coke and lemonade. Check."

"DJ?"

"Love the music, dude!" Nicky glared at Jack from goofing off while she checked everything for the tenth time.

"I mean check." Jack innocently smile before they continued the on-going inspection on the preparations.

It was Jack's turned to go with her because I had to be the one checking everything while she holds the clipboard for the ninth time.

"Everything's good?" Kyle asked as he got down from hanging the balloons and fairy-lights around the swimming pool.

"Are you crazy? Do you want to die?" He was taken aback from my questions and cautiously shook his head.

"Everything is perfect never good or great. It has to be perfect." It took a whole minute before we both laughed.

"That was a good one."

"Thanks but the warnings real. Nicky would literally slaughter you to death if you think the party's just going to be good or worse great!" We watched the scene of Nicky scolding Jack for taking a bottle of coke. He was thirsty and tired but Nicky never let it slide pass her.

"Where's Maya anyway?" Nicky came to us with a question no one knows.

"You stayed at the same house. How can you don't know where she is?" Jack stated which received a very deadly glare.

"She left the house early in the morning. Not even grandma was up yet." She sighed.

"I just hope the birthday girl comes to her surprise birthday party." We all nodded in agreement. The party might be perfect but not a hundred percent perfection if the main event didn't show up.

"I'll call her." I tried to sooth Nicky's worries and took out my phone. I called Maya a few times but it kept going to voicemail. Nicky understood my frustrated face and end up calling Maya on her phone, in case she pick up her call rather than mine. They are avoiding me, I thought.

"Maybe you should call Gwen." Jack told me as we waited for Maya to pick up her phone. Frustration lines were appearing on Nicky's forehead. She furiously hold her phone while trying not to destroy it.

I quickly pressed Gwen's number it was ringing, a good sign until it went straight to voicemail just like Maya's.

"Where are they?" Nicky growled in frustration.

"We still have a few hours. I'll go to Gwen's and see if they're there or if Gwen's mother knows something." I told Nicky and hopefully she'll calm down for awhile. She sighed and nodded while her hand told me to go quick.

"I'll call you when I know something." I ran out and went to my bike but a hand pulled me back. I turned to Kyle with a smile and a pair of keys.

"I'll drive you there. It's faster by car anyway." I agreed and we walked towards his car in front of the swimming pool main entrance. After a quick drive to the house, I jogged out of the car towards the front door.