Read your mind

The whole morning made me feel sick to the stomach but determination to help Maya overwhelmed all the sickness and guilt for doing what we had planned.

"See you after school." I told Max before leaving the car in a hurry. Maya would always ride with us to school but because of yesterday's scene, Grandma Jamie said that she went off by her own, meaning someone must have had picked her up somewhere because there was no car seen in front of her house.

She was being more cautious and secretive than ever.

"Maya!" I called when I saw her at the locker. I could see her body tensed but she ignored me and went off.

"She's avoiding us." Gwen said from beside me as we watched our best friend walked away.

"She can't avoid us all day. We have class together." I said with determination.

"I know there's still the Maya we know and I want her back." I closed my locker and we both went separate ways as the bell rang.

For the half day of school, I couldn't even concentrate what the teachers were teaching. I've been watching Maya's every move and trying to decipher what's going on with her. Her outfits are not what she would usually wear but it was the outfits Nicole would want her to wear.

She looks beautiful and confident, and I know that's a good thing but she's cutting everyone off and hanging out with someone even her family doesn't know smells trouble and dangerous to me.

"So when are we doing this?" I asked Gwen as we paid for our lunches. Maya has been nowhere to be found.

"When she's not expecting it. It's easier to read people when they're too caught up with something." She explained and we sat at our usual spot.

"I hope it's nothing bad." I prayed.

"You're ready?" I asked Gwen for the hundreth time. I was worried with what may happened, it's either going to be bad or good.

Or worst.

She nodded and we took our seat while we waited Maya to come through the door.

We waited and the teacher came in, we still hoped that maybe she's just running late and would enter with a sorry and excuse.

But as soon the teacher started teaching and it 15 minutes past by, we knew she was a no show.

"I can't believe she ditched chemistry and history." I was furious as we walked out of the school compound.

"She has never done this before." I said to Gwen as she tentivrly listened to my babbling.

"Do you thing something happened to her?" I was now worried.

"Nope. I think she's perfectly fine." She answered confidently and I looked at her puzzled.

She pointed her finger straight and I followed. I saw Maya getting out of the same car and waved good bye as the car drove off. She hurriedly went to her bicycle but I was already running towards her.

"Maya!" I called and she looked up before rolling her eyes.

"What?" She asked rudely and impatient.

"Where have you been?" I asked and blocked her from cycling away from us.

"None of your business." She spat while looking at both of us.

"Maya, please." I pleaded and hold onto her bicycle.

"You're acting strange. Very strange. You're never like this." I pleaded to my best friend.

"I'm being something you and Nicky always wanted me to be, and you're complaining?" She asked as if what I said was ridiculous.

"I now we wanted to make you more confident and show your beautiful self but this is going to far. You can't just skip classes and go off somewhere with who-knows-who!" I told her.