Good For You (Salem Sanders)

"So you found a place where the grass is greener?" Cole Shadows asked, her voice splintering the quiet that had built up in the room.
"Mom, its not like that. I love Saint, and I cant just let him leave." her son Salem said back, his eyes brimming with tears as hers hardened with anger.
"So, what? You jumped the fence to the other side?" she asked coldly, plowing on before he could say anything.
"Is it good? Are they giving you a world I could never provide?" she asked, voice softening as tears began to fall down her face.
"Mama, please, just listen to me." he begged again, stopping when she cut her eyes at him.
"Why?"
"Because, you deserve to know, all of the things that led to my decision." he whispered, and she openly began to laugh.
"Well, I hope you're proud of your big decision. I hope it's all that you want and more." she spat, and then sat down on the couch and hugged a pillow to her torso as Salem fought to keep from screaming.

Now you're free from the agonizing
Life you were living before

"And you say what you need to say, so that you get to walk away." she said after a few moments, and Salem locked eyes with his mother before shaking his head.
"Think mom, it would kill you to have to stay trapped when you've got something new. Isn't that how I'm even alive?" he spat, watching her as she stood up and crossed the room, stopping a few feet away from him.
"Im sorry you had it rough. And I'm so fucking sorry I'm not enough. But hey, thank God he rescued you, right?" she said with a small smile, and then kissed his forehead and walked out of the room.

"So you got what you always wanted, so you got your dream come true?" Cole asked at dinner, her husband Matt elbowing her gently.
"Mom, please just stop this, it's stu-"
"Good for you, really good for you. I'm kind of jealous, because you got a taste of a life so perfect." she said with a smile, scooting away from Matt as he scowled at her.
"And I get it, you did what you had to do. So good for you." she smiled, and then stormed off to her office, the door slamming behind her.
"Does it cross your mind to be slightly sorry?" Salem's cousin Johnathan spoke up, swatting his mother away as he leveled a glare at Salem.
"Do you even care that you might be wrong? About Saint, about all of it? That maybe he's not the most amazing guy ever?" he asked, anger lacing his voice as Salem stood.
"There's nothing wrong with Saint, or what I'm choosing to do." he spat back, and Johnathan scoffed before a smile crossed his lips.
"Was it fun? Making me and Cole fucking furious? Well I hope you had a blast while you dragged me along." he said softly, before getting up and walking out the front door.

"Dad seriously, is this a big deal?" he asked Matt, who sighed.
"This is the way they see it. You say what you need to say, and you play who you need to play."
"And if somebody's in your way crush them and leave them behind." Cole supplied from her office, and they both groaned.
"Well I guess if I'm not of use go ahead, you can cut me loose." she continued, silence following. The next day Salem awoke and went downstairs to find Cole on the patio, and stood next to her.
"I'll shut my mouth and I'll let you go is that good for you?" she asked, and he looked at im confusion.
"Would that be good for you?"
"All I need some time to think."
"But the boat is about to sink." she said softly, and he shook his head.
"Tell me how could you change the story?" he asked, and she shrugged once before lighting a ciggarette.

"I'll just sit back while you run the show is that good for you?" she asked once more, and he let out a small breath
"All the words that I can't take back like a train coming off the track." he said in a small voice, and she shook her head.
"I've got to find a way to stop it Say. Your my baby." she said back, voice just as small before she hugged him.
"So you got what you always wanted, so you got your dream come true. Good for you." she smiled, and then sighed.
"Don't call me when it all crumbles. I won't be here." she smiled, and put out her ciggarette before going inside.

Later when he finished packing, he found a small note on his bed in her handwriting, and his heart sunk as he read the words written there.

So you got what you always wanted