Get By (Quinn and Vincent)

"I've been dodging the question for too long." Quinn Sanders said slowly, facing Vincent Fuentes with squares shoulders and her jaw tight.
"I see you sitting there, but not talking." He said from where he stood at the windows, and she shut her eyes briefly.
"Tell me. What are you running away from?" She asked, and he shook his head.
"Quinn, thats not fair." He said, and she stood up, crossing the room to stand nose to nose with him, eyes burning into his own.
"Leaving won't fix your problems."

"I hate to say I told you so." She said a few days later into the phone, Vincent's ragged breathing coming through clearly enough to make her heart clench.
"Yeah you did. And turns out I came undone." He said in a trembling voice, and she finally let a tear fall down as his voice broke into a sob.
"You're not the only one." She whispered, and he nodded, knowing she could see it through the fuzzy camera.
"Turns out we're broken and careless." He managed, and she shook her head.

"No. This is what's happening now. You'll get by while I get better." She said, voice as strong as she could make it.
"Quinn, don't hold on 'cause I'll hold you back." He said back, and she grit her teeth, willing steel into her voice.
"Why is every time there's hope in what I say, you always turn away?" She asked, and at his shrug she hung her head.

"You really shouldn't have left here in the first place." She finally said, and he scoffed once.
"I know."
"So, when are you coming back?" She asked, and at his silence she sighed, releasing a small chuckle.
"Right. Why do I set myself up to break down?" She asked, and he kept quiet, looking at her.
"Just remember to get by while I get better." She said finally, and then disconnected the line.

You'll get by while I get better

"I'm sick of your forgetful apologies. Over and over." She said a few months later, her voice echoing in their empty apartment as she kept a hand against her stomach.
"I hate to say I told you so." Vincent said quietly, and she turned as the door opened and the call ended to see him in the doorway, cheeks gaunt and eyes dark.
"Turns out we're broken and careless." she said breathlessly, staying where she was.

"You'll get by while I get better." She said finally, her voice thick with emotion as he looked up.
"I thought I said don't hold on 'cause I'll hold you back." He said softly, and she shook her head.
"When there's hope in what I say, you always turn away." She said, and his gaze hardened as he stepped towards her.
"No. Not again." He whispered, and she nodded.
"Good."

You'll get by while I get better