The Proposal

Tra la la la!

Oh hey there!

How is everyone doing?

Sorry for wrong spelling/grammar.

×××

As we entered the restaurant, Alex confirmed our reservation.

A waiter wearing a white long sleeves and dark blue vest escorted us as we made our way to our favorite table. It is located near the piano. The lights are a little bit dimmer there compared to the other parts of the restaurant. Just how I like it.

The restaurant is obviously an expensive place to be.

The walls and ceiling were painted with cream which highlights the gigantic and elegant chandelier in the middle of the restaurant. The flooring is made entirely of white shiny marble. The gold-tone table sheets, the pure silver and glass utensils, the pianist wearing his suit and tie, and the waiters are polite and well-trained.

Alex pulled a chair for me. I thanked him and he smiled showing his perfect white teeth.

Such a gentleman. And oh! A cutie.

He went to his chair and sat.

He waved his hand and another waiter approached us and Alex gave him a knowing nod. The waiter gave him a wink as he gave us our menu.

Okay, what's with the winking?

Alex made an order for the both of us. The chef's specialty of the day.

After a few minutes, the waiter arrived with two vanilla sundaes topped with a cherry and and strawberry which he served in our table.

"I think you did not get our order right. This isn't our order" I said remembering Alex has not ordered us sundaes.

"Ma'am this is a compliment from the chef" he smiled and left us at our table.

"Okay, I think it's our lucky day. Free sundaes huh" I told Alex as I put a spoonful of the sundae in my mouth. He just smiled at me nervously.

I just ignored him and continued eating my ice cream in gulpfuls.

"Hey slow down there, honey" Alex said chuckling.

"What? It's delicious" I shrugged then took another spoon.

I gave him a satisfied look when I finished of my sundae. His forehead crunched showing some fine lines.

He then ate his sundae faster than I did.

"The ring's not here either" he gasped with confusion written in his face.

"What ring?" I said, confused.

"Honey, I think you swallowed the ring" he said trying hard not to laugh.

What? I swallowed a ring? Is that the hard thing that went through my neck? I thought it was just another piece of cherry so I ignored it.

Geez.

"What is a ring doing in my sundae?!" I bursted.

"Who puts a damn ring in somebody else's food" I added about to go and kick the chef in his guts. But Alex calmed me down.

"I was supposed to propose to you, you know" he said not being able to contain his laughter anymore.

I blushed and sat there motionless.

"Propose?"

"Yes, and you ate our engagement ring" he laughed.

I gave Alex a sharp look as he continues to laugh his ass off which got everyone's attention.

The waiter approached us.

"Everything's okay?" he asked.

"No, I just swallowed the damn ring" I said about to punch him when a chuckle escaped his lips.

I don't know if I'm going to laugh too or just hide under the table because I'm embarassed. Embarassed in a way that I did not notice the ring while I was eating and accidentally swallowed it or embarassed because my boyfriend is laughing because I swallowed the ring. Either way, I'm still embarassed.

"Anyway, honey..." said Alex who cleared his throat and went near me.

"Darlene Benson, will you marry me?" he asked as he went on his knees.

I feel my blood rushing through my face. I can imagine how I looked like that moment, a flushed tomato.

Everyone was clapping and the pianist started playing a sweet song which was not familiar to me. A romantic song which is often heard in exclusive restaurants like this. I guess its the own pianist's piece.

The world seemed to stop when I finally said, "Yes, I will marry you Mr. Alexander Gonzaga."

My tears fell as I hugged Alex tightly. He planted a kiss on my lips and smiled. I felt his thumb wiping my tears of happiness.

"I love you" he whispered into my ears.

"Oh, Alex. I love you more!" I said with a smile which reached my ears.

"Let's go to the hospital and get your ring" he chuckled.

Oh yeah, I entirely forgot about the ring I swallowed. Though the proposal did not go exactly as Alex has planned, we both are happy. Who would have thought about the me swallowing the ring? This marriage proposal is really an unusual one.

Alex was my first boyfriend. He's everything I've got since I have no parents or family. And I'm sure he'll be the last.

I grew up in an orphanage. The social worker told me that a woman left me in the orphanage when I was still a baby. The woman did not leave any contact number or information about her. She did not even gave me a name. The nunss there gave me the name, "Darlene Benson".

Anyway, I have no plans of looking for my real parents since they obviously did not want me. I don't want them either. When I went out of the orphanage, I looked for a job and handled everything since then.

Enough of me.

So about Alex, we first met at the hospital where he was working. I was scheduled for a check up when he bumped into me. Okay, actually its the other way around. I bumped into him. I looked at his eyes, he looked at mine. Then, tadaaaah!, we experienced the so called love-at-first-sight thingy.

Awesome, right?

He got my number which I gave him without second thoughts. He called me and asked for a date which was followed with so many dates after.

He's what I call a complete package. His got the looks, the money, and the brains. I couldn't ask for more. Besides being a gentleman, He's also sweet and caring.

He knows me better than anyone. He knows what to do whenever I was sad or angry. He knows what makes me happy and even what my favorites are.

I'm really a lucky girl.

And now, Alex proposed to me. I was really speechless because of the tears running down my cheek. It was the second time I cried in my whole life.

I first cried when I learned and realized what the word 'orphan' means. Then, I promised that I would never ever cry again. I have to be strong since I'm going to end up being alone my whole life.

That was when I was 8 years old, 12 years ago. But I was wrong. I will never be alone my entire life. I have Alex and soon- our kids.

×××

Who experienced swallowing a ring here?

Geez. That'll be a weird experience I guess.

Anyways, thank you for everyone who reads this.

PLEASE CHECK MY NEW BOOK. NUTELLA AND THE ALPHA. THANK YOU :D

M.M