C H A P T E R 4 | What Are The Odds?

Its been about a week since the whole wave pool fiasco. I couldn't face anyone but Payton and Casey. Jake, Michael and Jasmine all think I'm crazy.

Jake texted me that night asking about my health, meaning that Michael or Jasmine told him, which got me even more mad. Jasmine tried calling, texting and she even came to my house, but I told my mum to tell her I'm not there. I don't want Jasmine apologizing since she was the one who said what she said making Michael and Jake believe that I wasn't eating well.

I don't need pity, I need friends I can trust. Payton has texted me weird jokes and memes all week. Casey and I have been skyping a lot. She is one of the the closest friends I have right now.

"Hey girly," Casey screeched through the phone.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Would you like to join Jake, Michael and I at the movies?"

"I don't know if i would like the movies," I replied as I closed my laptop.

"Oh, you will like it. It's a mystery and things keep disappearing on this girl. Everyday, she looks for something and it's gone," she explained.

"Okay but I'm not promising that I will talk to Jasmine," I said. I really hope we do get along again...I think she should apologize though. I didn't do anything wrong but I was the one who was hurt.

"You guys will make up sooner or later, you guys, are best friends," she tried to convince me.

"I know but not today."

"Well then tomorrow," she demanded.

"I'll think about it," I stubbornly replied and sat on my bed.

"Ugh, anyways. I'll pick you up at 2 in the afternoon," she finalized.

"Alright, see you then," I said, ending the call.

I didn't want to go today, but I can't also dodge my problems and Jasmine is one of them.

Casey is right, we have been best friends since freshmen year and I can't throw all those memories away by one sentence could possibly ruin my friendship with the guys, I can't hold the grudge. It was already noon so I had two hours before Casey will come and pick me up.

I grabbed my journal and walked out the back door of my house. Ever since I was little, there was a little river behind my house and I'd sit in the tire swing and think. But when i turned thirteen and hated everything about me, I'd go to the tire swing and just sit and write everything I love about myself in it.

There was a path that was lined with pebbles that led to the river. My mother always bought be here to swim or to skip rocks when dad left. I t was kind of therapy for me, I guess. She stopped taking me a while a go and i then just brought myself out of habit.

Once I arrived at the river, I sat down on the tire swing and filled out a journal page full of random words that I felt. It is a powerful thing to do when you are feeling down. Just write all of it on a piece of paper, crumple it up and throw it always. The reason it's helpful id because it's kind of like your problems down then you are throwing them away. My phone dinged, interrupted my writing.

Mike:

Are you coming today?

Me:

Yeah, why?

Mike:

Jasmine isn't coming anymore, she bailed after Casey told her you were coming.

I was about to reply but I heard a noise from behind the tree.

"Jasmine?"

Jasmine came from behind the tree crying.

"I'm so so so sorry Bella," she muttered with her arms wrapped around herself.

"I am sorry too" I smiled and got up to hug her.

"I should have never said those things out loud," she sobbed and rubbed her nose with her hand.

"You were scared, and I already forgave you. Anyways, I was just waiting for you to come here," I tried to calm her down.

"I had a feeling you were here. It was calling," we just sat there laughing until it was 2pm and Casey came to pick us up.

After the movie ended, we all went to Payton's house. The movie was good, but I was never into mystery movies.

Anyways, we left after the girl figured out why the things were disappearing; it was because of her dog. Pathetic, right? I must have yawned over twenty times.

Payton suggested we go hang out at hers since she has a pool. Casey dropped Jasmine and I at my house so we could get our bathing suits. Jasmine has a bin full of her clothes at my house, since every time she came to my house she forgot something.

I drove us to Payton's house and here we are. We already swam for a bit and now the girls are tanning and the guys were bringing us snacks and drinks.

During their disappearance, Jasmine called dibs on Michael, Payton already had Jake so me and Casey were only once left. I told Casey that I will set her up with someone, and she said she will do the same for me but I denied her offer, saying that I don't want a guy in my life. My brother is one year older so I'll try and hook him up with Casey. Ever since I showed her a picture of him.

She has been saying that we will be sisters-in-law because she used to have a crush on him and it was horrendous. Because if you knew Jasmine like I do, she doesn't shut up about the guy she likes. I didn't want to hear Caden's (my brother) name over and over again.

"Finally, what took you so long?" Jasmine asked.

"Jake over here didn't know what grape soda looked like," Michael laughed a he nudged Jake.

"Shut up," Jake laughed, and passed out water bottles and cans to whoever wanted one. I personally don't drink soda because the carbonation in the beverage burns my throat.

"We also bought cucumbers and salt;crackers and cheese and some chips," Jake stated as he out the tray on the glass table everyone was sitting around.

"Let's play a game,"Casey suggested.

"Okay, what?" Payton asked.

"Let's play what are the odds " I proclaimed.

"How do you play?" Jake asked and chugged were some water.

"Basically, you ask someone a phrase suck as, what are the odds of you knocking on your neighbors doors and asking them the directions to your street. Then the person you asked and yourself will count down from 3, after 3 you say the number 1,2 or 3. If you both day the same number you have to do the phrase they said," I explained.

"I'll start," I announced. "Casey, what are the odds that you will go to to Payton's dad and ask him about teen pregnancy," I stated, getting a few 'oohs' from the guys

"1, 2, 3...," we both started.

"2"

"1"

"Dang it ," I laughed.

"Thank God, your dad would have never allowed me to hang out with you again," Casey laughed.

We continued to play the game until we got tired of talking and started star gazing. The grass felt cold and wet but it was also comfortable and protective.

Michael pointed the big and small dipper. Jake pointed out some of the zodiac sighs along with Casey. I had no idea which stars traced what. I usually just see them as big balls of lights in the sky. I guess the same goes for Payton because she was dead silent too. All of them continued to talk about the starts, but i just laid there, silent.

Wishing that I was one of those stars, floating in the sky freely.