C H A P T E R 43

"Caden can we talk?" I asked, knocking quietly on the door.

It's time to take Jake's advice into action. Caden is going through a hard time and just because I convinced myself that everything will be okay, Caden might have not. He needs someone to talk to and if he's not coming to me, I'm coming to him.

"It's open," Caden mumbled.

Walking in, I noticed his room doesn't look like a room anymore. Tissues covered the floor making it look like a new carpet was put in, posters were ripped to the ground making some of the paint come off the walls.

But most of all, Caden looked like he hasn't showered in weeks. He looked like a lost puppy, trying to find its way through the never ending maze. His room looked almost as damaged as he was, and worse of all, he went through all this alone.

"If you're going to patent me, don't bother. Leave the way you entered," he sighed, combing his greasy hair with his hand.

"I was wrong," I admitted, brushing some tissues off the bed so that I had space to sit.

"About?"

"How you were handling things?" I answered, looking around.

"How are you not broken?" He questioned, with a slight crack in his voice. "Dad's gone, and this time, he isn't coming back. We were finally building a relationship and then just like that he disappeared...again. I was young when he left the first time, but now that I have common sense, I know that I will never see him again. So yeah, I'm taking his passing quite hard, I'm surprised you aren't," he snarled, throwing an empty tissue box.

"Caden, things have to move on. I get it, it's hard. I was broken too, but we don't have to live like the world is ending."

"It feels like it is," he whispered.

"But Caden, look around. Everything is the same as it was before. Pain isn't forever, please try to make an effort to move on. I'm not saying to forget about Joe, but I'm saying to try and get things back to normal. Just like it was when he wasn't around," I smiled.

"I'm not making any promises," he mumbled,again.

"Then make an effort," I side-hugged him. "For mum and myself."

"What time is dinner at?" He called, as I walked out the door.

"I'll find out," I called back.

Caden might be one step closer to understanding my point of view, but I have yet to talk to my mother. People who bottle up their emotions, like her, tend to loose control in the future. Even-though my mum is smiling on the outside, she might be hurting on the inside and her children should understand that.

"Hey mum, can I come in?" I asked knocking on her door.

"Sure sweetie," she called, allowing me to walk in.

"What's up?"

"I just wanted to check in," I answered, hugging myself.

"With me?" She wondered.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Checking I'm in what?"

"You."

"Let me guess, with your father's passing?" She guessed, earring  nod from me. "Sweetie don't worry about that, it might take me a while to register, but I will make it through," she guaranteed. "How's your brother doing?"

"Go ask him yourself, he needs you too," I stated, leaning against the door frame.

"I know, whenever Caden goes silent and blocks everyone out, it's best if I don't interfere," she admitted, looking down and the hands.

"Well, right now he's really hurting and he needs you the most right now. You might be handling it easily, but your son isn't," I explained.

"I will talk to him, I promise," she gave me a smile.

"Now, what's for dinner? We hadn't had a family dinner in a couple of weeks with all this chaos and it would help if we just sat together and talked."

"Chicken Alfredo will do just fine," she answered, standing up getting ready to leave.

"I was really hoping you'd say that. I mean it is my favorite meal," Caden interrupted, sticking his head into the bedroom, making us both laugh.

***
Sorry that this chapter is sooo short but the next one will be sort of intense sooo get ready.

Maya x