C H A P T E R 24

"Happy birthday!" I screamed, walking into Caden's room.

"Go away," he mumbled and shoved his face into the pillow.

"It's your nineteenth birthday, get up," I ordered, setting his celebration breakfast down.

"I could care less if it was my seventieth birthday, get out," he replied, throwing a pillow at me.

"You are going to get up whether you like it or not. If I have to forcefully drag you out of bed, I will and you know I could," I stated.

"I swear if you do not leave now," he started, but wasn't able to finish his sentence as I pulled his body to the ground.

"Why do I have a sister," he groaned and stumbled up off the floor.

"So she can make breakfast on your birthday," I smiled.

"I am pretty sure that's grandma's job," he smirked, blowing out the candles that were placed randomly on the pancakes.

"What? I can't cook?"

"If I were to give you a pot and water, you'd most likely boil the water in the microwave," he replied.

"And at that note, I'm leaving," I stayed and turned towards the door.

"Thank you Bella."

"Pleasure is all mine," I laughed and exited his room.

      It's July 2nd, which means it's Caden's birthday. He always hated celebrating his special day saying, "it's just a reminder on how old you're getting." I understand his point of view, but come on!

Everyone has to have their own day to celebrate living; whether you like it or not. I remember one morning when Caden was fourteen and I was twelve, I bought in an actual store bought birthday cake and it gave Caden a humongous stomachs ache. Never eat junk food in the morning, your insides will kill you.

From that day forward, my mother or grandmother ( if we are at the beach house) is hold make chocolate chip pancakes and place candles in them.

It's sort of tradition. I told everyone it was Caden's birthday and Jake insisted on throwing a surprise bonfire dinner for him tonight with the whole crew. This would be Caden's first birthday with his dad for a while now and I don't know if dad's up for it. Jake gave everyone their position on what to do and where to go to get the surprises. Control freak much?

My job is to get streamers and balloons from the market just a little ways from the beach. Jasmine is tagging along because she needs to grab the cake and gift wrap the presents. Speaking of gifts, I still need to get Caden one and I am desperate for any possible idea.

I always sucked at buying presents for everyone because I never know what they want so I just give them money to buy what they desire to buy. Which to me, is the safe way to go. But Caden is my brother and I should put some heart into his gift, but I'm clueless on what to get him. It has to be memorable and important to him. Something he will never lose and never want to let go, but what would that be?

Maybe money is the best option...

"How about this one?" Jasmine asked, pointing at a cake with a puppy on it.

"Jaz, he's not turning three, he's turning nineteen," I responded.

"So the transformer one is a no too?" She laughed.

"What about that one?" I asked, looking towards the cake that says "Happy Birthday" on it.

"You are soo boring! Happy Birthday is the best you can do? At least the puppy has some sort of design on it," she complained.