C H A P T E R 29

"Mom, can we talk?" I asked after I took a shower and cooled off after the hike.

"Depends, what about," she replied.

"Dad."

"What about him?"

"He had a problem hiking down the hill this morning," I stayed, fiddling with my thumbs.

"Well honey, he's getting old, he might've just needed a break."

"But he never needed a break," I snapped.

"Things change,"

"Why does dad write in a journal?"

"He always has, he told me when we were married that it helps him clear his mind."

"Clear his mind about what?"

"Sweetly, where is all this coming from?" She furrowed her brows.

"I think he's sick or at least something is wrong with him," my voices quietened towards the end of the sentence.

"If he was sick, I would be the first to tell you guys. I promise."

Nodding, I left the room, still not believing her. If he was sick, he would tell his whole family, not just her. She and him are hiding something from Caden and I; and I am almost positive that my answer will be in his journal. But where does he keep the old book? It can't be that hidden, can it?

"Hey," Jake smiled, stopping me in the hallway.

I haven't spoke to Mason or Jake since yesterday. But Mason is probably wrong about Jake liking me, even though I might like him.

"Oh, sorry," I smiled and pulled my hair back.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages, what happened yesterday when you and Mason talked. Did you find what was wrong?" He asked.

"Something along those lines I guess. After we talked, he stormed off and I walked on the shoreline caught up in my thoughts."

"Is everything okay? You seem rushed," He asked, furrowing his brows.

"Oh, I'll try not to seem like it then," I joked.

"What's wrong?" He questioned, munching some crisps.

"Promise not to tell a soul?" I asked, earning a concerned glance.

"I went hiking with my father this morning, and he almost collapsed. He has never ached in such a way and I think something is wrong with him. He keeps this journal and I have a feeling that what I am searching for, is in that book. The only problem is, I don't know where it is."

"Do you need help finding it?" He asked. "I'll be glad to ask Mason if he'd help as well," he replied.

"No!" I quickly answered, shouting. "I mean...three is a crowd," I corrected myself and smiled trying to look like I meant it.

"Um, alright. Where did you see the book last?" He asked.

"It was the first time I talked to him on this trip. He was in the living room, writing, when I barged in and created a conversation, he immediately closed the book like he didn't want me to read it,"I explained.

"And what makes you think something is wrong with him?" Jake asked, taking a couple of crisps and shoving them in his mouth.

"I saw him and my mother on the porch back home; he told her something and she seemed scared and confused. I didn't really think of it until this morning. But, my gut is telling me he's not okay," I explained, trying to stay serious but he was making it way too hard for me by stuffing his mouth.