C H A P T E R 36

Summer is halfway done and boy, has this season been taking its time. Sure, there's no school and I don't have to wake up at the brink of dawn, but it gets boring.

Especially, when drama is taking over your life. I know no one who could say, "well, over summer break, my so called friend decided to convince my father, who's been absent for fourteen years, to make an appearance back in my life; I was torn between two guys for most of the time; my other so called best-friend broke my brothers heart; my father is suffering from a disease that he has yet got to admit to the family; and now I'm about to break a promise to my grandmother."

No one could say that, and if you can, welcome to the club.

I have ya talked to Jake since I told him maybe to his question. I feel terrible, but at the same time, do I really want a relationship? I do like Jake and he likes me back, but my father broke me before any guy could. I don't trust anyone with my heart anymore; so how can I trust Jake?

He might leave like my father did. Can I take that chance? Will I be able to live through that pain again? I'm not saying that Jake is the worse person ever, in fact, he's on of the best.

However, there's two sides to every story, maybe I'm just paying attention to the side I desire the most.

Jake deserved an explanation because if it was me in his position, I wouldn't be able to hang on for this long. No one should wait for a answer to an important question; it's not fair to the person who asked.

Walking down the stairs, my father and brother were playing video games on the tv. Only four more days at this house, and then hone sweet home again.

"I'm going out," I called.

"Where?" My father asked, pausing the game.

"Over to the strip mall," I explained, putting my shoes on.

"Meeting with someone?"

"Why does it matter?" I questioned, tying my shoe laces.

"Have fun," He finalized.

"Will do," I smiled, glad he changed the subject.

***

I told Jake to meet me at the entrance of the mall, so technically I wasn't lying. He needed an answer and I had mine. I just hope it's the right one.

"Hey," I greeted and hugged Jake. "This is awkward," I added, trying to smile.

"Only if you make it, we are just two friends, hanging out like the good old days," he winked.

"Let's get ice cream," I ordered.

"You and your sweets, I swear," he laughed.

"Ice cream is a need when you go to the mall, it's like the law," I stated, trying to convince him.

"Oh really? I have never gotten ice cream at the mall," he shrugged.

"You should be thrown in jail," I sighed.

"Oh please, try and make this happen," he laughed.

"Don't underestimate me young grasshopper," I scoffed, nudging him slightly.

"I'm older than you," he corrected, smirking.

"Fine, don't underestimate me old grasshopper, better?" I sarcastically remarked.

"Much better," he laughed and threw his arm around my shoulder. "So where do we get this ice cream from?"

***

"How about this one?" I asked, pulling the curtain back and doing a twirl in the dress.

"That's a winner," He gawked.

"You sure?" I asked, giving another twirl.

"Positive," he guaranteed, nodding his head.

"Christmas better come sooner," I laughed.

"Christmas?"

"To get this dress, your sunny if you think I can afford this right now," I stated, looking at myself I the mirror.

"I'll buy it," he shrugged, sitting back on the sofa.

"In your dreams. This dress is four hundred dollars, you are not getting this dress," I ordered, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Whatever you say," he smiled.

"Jake I mean it, do not buy this dress,"I repeated.

"Okay okay, I won't," He surrounded. "But you look amazing," he winked.

"More than usual?" I joked, making my way back to the changing room and him following.

"I mean," he laughed, earning a curtain in his face which made him laugh harder. "Aww, love, you know I'm just messing with you."

"Trust me, I know." I replied, now out of the changing room, walking besides Jake. "So, about that question," I started as we walked past stores.

"What question?" He pretended not to know.

"It must be another guy then," I shrugged.

"Well, What did he ask?"

"An important question that I, stupidly, didn't respond properly to," I role played.

"Huh, you must've crushed this guys heart," he shook his head.

"I'm afraid I did, but I think I know my answer," I replied, laughing.

"Oh really? And what might it be?"

"I don't know if I should tell you, you might ruin the surprise," I fiddled with my thumbs and sighed.

"Cross my heart and hope to die," he promised.

"Well, first I'm going to lay down some ground rules for him," I began.

"And what night those be?" He raised an eyebrow.

"This guy and I have to be completely honest with each other; we always have to be there for one another; we have to control our anger if we get into fights and calm down before discussing the issue. Finally, I want a fun, protective relationship with him," I explained, looking down at my feet the whole time.

"Sound like you're all set," he smiled.

"I didn't respond to him at first because I was afraid of getting my heartbroken again. That this guy would hurt me just like my father did. But I realised I can't base every feeling on him. That not every guy is going to disappoint me. I guess I just didn't want past repeating itself," I added.

"I assure you this guy will never hurt you like your father did. And if he does, I'll make sure to beat him up for you. Besides, last time I recalled, he isn't a forty year old," he winked.

"You're right, this guy sounds like a keeper," I laughed.

"So, what is your answer?" He asked, stopping outside and ice cream place.

"Yes Jake, I'll be your girlfriend," I answered, as the stress fell off my shoulders.

"Fantastic, now, who's Jake?" He joked.

"Shut up," I smiled and shook my head.

"Took you long enough," he winked and intertwined our fingers together as we walked inside.