C H A P T E R 49

Yesterday night opened my eyes;Mason's family were a whole and they were laughing, smiling, and joking around with each other. A death in their family didn't separate them but reunited them.

My family hasn't been acting like a family. We might've had one or two meals together and some once sentence conversations as we walked past each other in the hallways, but we never had family night where we could just relax and have fun that's a dream come true for me, if only my family wasn't so distant from one another.

I have to make things right with everyone. Summer is coming to an end and I don't want to start my senior year with brawls.

Deciding to take Mason's advice, I exited my room and was about to knock on my brothers door but when I overhead my mothers voice I paused. I don't intend to eavesdrop, but when someone's talking as loud as she was, it's hardly impossible to not listen.

"We're fine the kids are getting by."

There was a slight pause.

"Just drop it, things have been rough around here, we don't need anymore challenges."

"No, Isabella is starting school Edgewood in two weeks, we won't have time to come."

"Mum, Caden will be coming down in two weeks, you'll see Isabella soon enough. She's handling everything in her own terms," mother explained, obviously talking to grandma.

"Yes mother, one night won't kill me. She's a big girl and I trust her to make the right decision. She'll be home in a matter of hours... I'll keep you updated."

Ignoring the rest of the phone call I knocked on the hard, wooden door. When no one answered, I helped myself in and made sure to close the door behind me.

Caden's back was faced towards me, headphones in his ears and a game controller in his hands. The tv lit up his room with a tint of blue, his shades the shut and the curtains were closed; everything was packed in boxes and suitcases. The only thing not packed was his gaming box and controller, and that obviously won't be making its way to the box until the night he leaves.

"Caden?" I walked towards him and yanks his headphones off.

"Yo!" He exclaimed, pausing the game and turning around.

His expression consisted of three emotions: anger from separating him and his game, anxious to hear what I was going to say and sympathy for dropping big news on me.

"I never got the chance to congratulate you," I said, swinging my arms.

"You never really had a change to do anything but yell at me," he replied, standing up from the chair he was sitting on.

"I know I should've. Your sister should've supported you cause this is just such an incredible accomplishment, and all my yelling and protesting didn't help," I apologised.

"I'm not gonna lie, it stung me when you slammed the door shut in mum's and my face," he shrugged.

"You should go to that college," I say quickly.

"I was planning on going whether you liked it or not. I think this is the right path for me and I need to take this risk to see what's out there for me," he declared.

"That's exactly what you should do. The way I overreacted was way out of line. Just, hen you told me you are leaving, you reminded me of Joe," I stated, biting my lip trying not to think about Joe too much.

"It's not like we'll be strangers when I leave for college. We are sibling and we will continue to be even if we are miles away from each other. Distance doesn't change anything and I know this might not be an much, but I can promise you that I will come back and I will not disappear from your life like Joe. I'm not our dad, I'm your brother," he concluded, fiddling with his headset.

"You better keep that promise," I sighed, sitting on the bed.

"Cross my heart, hope to die," he swore, leaning towards me.

"I'll miss you," I mumbled.

"Oh come on, we still have two weeks left, don't get upset now," he laughed and patted my head.

"I'm proud of you big bro, hope you know that," I assured.

"I knew from the moment you slammed the door shut. Just, next time tell mum of myself where you're going. Mom's been worried sick since you weren't answering her calls. It's been five hours, and you might want to go check in with her before bed," he suggested.

"Sorry to worry you guys, I just needed to blow off my steam. I promise I won't do that again," I guaranteed, slowly standing up.

"Alright, I'm going back to shooting the heads of zombies, goodnight Bella," he smiled, placed the headset on the chair and engulfed me in a hug. I'll miss this.

"Goodnight, again, congratulations," I replied and made my way out the door.

It felt good to make things right with him again. Maybe this will be a waking call for next time someone breaks big news to me; to not overreact as much as I did.

My family might not be as great as Mason's, but maybe I'll get there someday. With Caden chasing his dreams and my mother remaining a strong independent women, my family will get along just fine, with or without family night.

"Mom?" I whispered,walking into her room.

"Where have you been?" She screamed, exiting her bathroom.

"At Mason's family night," I answered truthfully, since there was no point in lying.

"And you couldn't send me a text?" She replied, crossing her arms and raising her tone.

"It didn't cross my mind."

"Just like it didn't cross your mind that your mother might be worried sick? What if you were in an accident? What if you got kidnapped?" She yelled.

"Mom I'm fine. Nothing happened," I responded, pressing my lips into a thin line.

"But what if something did happen? You're not allowed to leave the house for the next three days," she declared, pointing a finger at me.

"Why?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"Because I cannot trust you with communication anymore. Until you understand how much pain you caused grandma and me, you're not aloud to leave the house. Understood?" She asked, placing a hand in her hip.

"Yes."

"Goodnight," she concluded.

"I'm sorry, goodnight," I answered, leaving the room.

It could've gone worse.