C H A P T E R 31

"Knock, Knock," someone spoke, knocking on my door.

"Oh hey," I smiled, realising it was Mike in the doorway.

"Just wanted to check in, see how things are going in your life," he shrugged.

"Alright, what's going on? Cause I know that's not the reason why you're here," I stated.

"You caught me, whoops!" He laughed.

"Mike, tell me."

"Mason and I aren't the closest, but anyone could see that he's hurt. What's being happening between you two?" He asked, taking a seat next to me on my bed.

"Why do you think I had something to do with this?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"Because you and him were inseparable in the beginning of this trip, and two days before we leave, all you say to Mason is "can you pass me the salt" at dinner. Something isn't right."

"People drift apart,"I said, almost whispering.

"Not that fast," he frowned. "He went out to the beach, you might want to make things right. Or when everyone goes back to Minnesota, things won't be the same as they were before you and him left. And you know it too," he stated, shrugging his shoulders then walking away.

Looking out my window towards the beach, I saw Mason walking along the beach, kicking sand next to the crystal, blue water.

Something inside me urged me to stay in my room and wait for him to come to me, but I couldn't live with myself if we were to stop talking when we got back to Minnesota. To know that I could've done something about the situation instead of just sitting in my room.

So, here I am, walking out the from door towards the guy who was there for me at the festival and made me feel welcomed.

As I got closer to Mason's figure, I questioned if I was doing the right thing. Maybe he didn't want to talk to me after he blew up on our conversation.

In fact, what if I'm making it worse by even being near him? But right when these thoughts came into my head, I immediately crossed them out. He could be on a plane back to Minnesota right now but he's not, and that gives me hope.

"My mother used to tell me, "maybe it won't work out, but maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever," I would say that phrase every time I went to bed, making sure I know, making sure I know things come and go. And yet, when things do go by, I get crushed and I break. When I said those things under the bridge, I knew I was risking a lot. Why? Because I was afraid you would be the thing to go, and I walked away, leaving you under the bridge alone. Like all the words my mother used to say to me, meant nothing anymore," he spoke, not even looking at me as if he was expecting my presence.

"You can't be living your life afraid to disappoint your mother," I replied.

"That's the thing. I already disappointed her. I disappointed her the moment she looked around and noticed one of her children were missing. What breaks me even more is what she must've been thinking. She was there for me whenever I needed her but I wasn't there for her. I disappointed her."

"No Mason you didn't disappoint her. If anything, you were there more than your siblings were. Maybe not the day she died, but when you found out she passed, she felt your pain. She was an amazing mother from the sound of it, and she wouldn't want you feeling guilty. I can bet my life that she's looking down at you from up there and she's proud of the man you have become. Stop blaming yourself and start living your life like she would want you to," I said, trying to convince him and make him feel better.