C H A P T E R 32

The day has come where all our belongings have to be stuffed back into suitcases. It's sad to be leaving Florida, but at the same time, I cannot wait to sleep in my own bed.

Sure, this vacation might've not gone the way I wanted it to go but, it was incredible. Ever since Mason and I made up, everything went back to normal. Jake and I are still great friends, Jasmine and I have never been closer, and Mike is just the goof of the group. Even Caden is happy, and we all know how Caden is. It's like the light switch flipped back on and everyone went back to their own thing.

Jasmine, the fashionable drama queen. Mike, the dorky comedian. Jake, the mysterious, loving guy. Mason, the calm and chill one who's attitude eats him alive. Caden, the antisocial whiz. The only thing that's not letting me be myself, is my father.

He thinks I have no clue about what's happening to him, but it's the complete opposite. I spent the whole night googling Huntington's Disease and every website has the same exact words that tore me apart.

No cure.

I get why he's keeping this from his children, but for me, pretending not to know is hard.

But how could I even tell him that I know his secret? "Hey dad, I know you have a disease." Not a chance. I don't think I even have the nerve to confront him.

Heaven forbid he leaves forever. That is the last thing I want. Even worse, Caden doesn't even know. I can't tell him either because if I did, he would hate our father for not telling us. But if I don't tell him and he finds out from someone else, he's going to hate me because I kept it a secret from him.

He can't keep this hidden forever though, we will be able to spot what's happening soon enough. And he knows that; yet he is still pretending like he's not dying. Astounding, isn't it?

"Hi sweetie," my grandmother greeted, placing a plate with breakfast in front of me.

"You're the best, you know that?" I smiled.

"I know, it's nice for someone to say it out loud," she joked, and filled the sink with dirty dishes.

"I'm going to miss you," I stated, chowing down on the eggs.

"Not as much as I'm going to miss you," she responded.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Go for it hun," she replied.

"Do you think things happen for a reason?"

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together," she spoke.

"But why do things happen and they hurt you in the process?"

"So it can make you stronger. Things don't happen just because there's always a reason. It might be just to protect you from what's coming or it might just be testing you. But how could you know, if you don't take risks. Right?" She stayed. "Why do you ask?" She added.

"I don't know, things just haven't been on my side lately," I shrugged.

"Stay strong sweetie, things don't last forever," she smiled, kissing my forehead before heading up the stairs.

"Unfortunately, I know," I mumbled to myself and continued to eat the delicious breakfast.

***

"Let's go, we don't want to miss our plane," my mother screamed to the six of us upstairs.

"We will be right down!" Jasmine shouted back. "One last selfie, come on!" She stated, getting all of us in the shot.