C H A P T E R 46

The beeping of the heart monitor kept me up all night. It was like a constant reminder that Jaz was connected to all these wires and is unable to swim, shop or go to the movie the year and watch a movie.

The beeps were consistent and every time I had shut my eyes, there goes another one. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather listen to the annoying sound the rest of my life than to live a day knowing Jaz didn't make it, but I was so close to ripping the cord that connected her and the monitor right out.

Hopping off the plastic chair, I folded the blanket that the nurse have me and placed it on the bedside table. I've read soo many times that breakfast in bed brings so much joy and happiness to a person who's sick or injured, so what better way to surprise her than some homemade hospital food sound appetizing...kinda.

I clicked the door open and saw Mike sleeping on the chair right outside the door; he was hugging his legs so tight that his arms were a light purple. As I nudged his arm, he grumbled until his eyes shot open and he was on his feet.

"How is she? Is she okay?" He asked, rambling.

"She's fine, just sleeping. I'm headed down to the cafeteria to grab her some food, you're welcome to join, unless you want to wait until Jaz wakes up."

"I'll wait in the room," he answered, rubbing his sleepy eyes.

"Alright, I'll be back in a bit," I smiled and turned to leave.

"Oh, buy me a bagel and some orange juice, will you?" He called.

"I'll think about it," I replied, and threw my hand up in the hair to signal a goodbye.

Sighing, I made my way to the elevator which was another hallway down. The walls were covered in nothing but medical posters showing pins or advice on being healthy.

You're lucky if you find a plant throughout the halls because even if their walls are plastered with creative ideas, the hallway looks dull. No sign of a green thumb anywhere, even if it wasn't dramatically filled with greens, one plant won't kill anyone. It seems like their goal to make guests feel depressed.

The cafeteria was packed; people were scrambling to get food or some sort of drink. There was not one person sitting, everyone was just buzzing around trying to get where they need to be. The line for the breakfast bar was looped around the corner of the entrance, but I'm sticking with my goal, getting food for Jaz.

Thirty minutes later, I was finally by the good and slapping anything that sounded good on the styrofoam plate. I didn't want to go all out since I didn't know if Jaz would be super hungry, so her meal consisted of strawberries, blueberries, a cinnamon roll, and some bacon. The nurse always gives Jaz some sort of drink every morning, so I figured she could just drink that with her food. Since I also promised Mike I would get him something, I placed his order on another plate that was on my other hand.

Hospital food hasn't always been the best for me. I've had bad experiences with it before, and since then I passed it all together. However, I almost picked up a muffin for myself, but decided against it.

Making my way back to the elevator, I passed the lobby where a family were asking for directions for, I'm guessing, a loved ones room.

"I just need to know where Joshua Daniels's room is," a female voice stated.

"Visiting hours begin at noon, only immediate family for now," the lady behind the counter replied.

"We are immediate family," the mother argued.

"Sorry to butt in, they are with me," I interrupted, smiling.

The pain in the voices was all I needed to step in and help out.