C H A P T E R 35

I hate the nights I lay awake, staring at the ceiling waiting for the next day to arrive. Hearing the clock tick in complete silence and just wishing you can forget about the day you went through; that was me.

When Jake confessed his attraction to me, I froze up like any girl would. I don't know if you remember, but I made a promise to my grandma that when the right guy comes along, I'll take the risk.

However, if the wrong guy appears out of nowhere and I don't realize that he isn't the one, I would be just like my mother. She didn't pay attention to my father's personality; she loved him for his looks and his good side, but his bad side? She didn't think much of it.

The only time I have ever seen Jake act out, was when we got into a fight about Payton and I was surprised at his blow-out. What if he's like that all the time, but I only see the good parts of his personality? I have dreamed of my first date, kiss, boyfriend, bu what if these things don't live up to my expectation? I'd be heartbroken.

My answer was, "let me think about it." Why? Because I know Mason and I have...something. Even if it's just a spark or two; I don't want to hurt him with the answer I give Jake. He was the one to comfort me at the fair and helped me through all the heartaches and broken friendships. In my mind, it makes sense to ask for his blessing, since I can't ask my father. He'd approve of anyone and wouldn't think twice about how they might treat me. Mason, on the other hand, he knows how boys act and I am positive he'll give me an honest opinion.

"I think you should say yes," Mason immediately remarked once I explained my situation.

"Really? That quick any you're already convinced?" I asked, astonished.

"He's a great guy and he'll treat you better that anyone else I know. I think you two would make a wonderful couple," he smiled, fiddling with the blanket.

"So you're okay with this?" I sat upright.

"Why wouldn't I be? Nessa and I are together, I asked her out yesterday at her birthday meet up, and I think you deserve someone special too. And it just so happens that Jake is your guy," he explained, also sitting up, leaning against my bed frame.

"Thanks, Mason, for everything," I stated, kind of disappointed in his answer. But he's right, I need to learn by myself, even with a couple heartbreaks in my timeline.

"No problem, shish-ka-bob, glad I could help," he laughed.

"Quit with the nicknames, they aren't cute," I shot.

"Whatever you say, cupcake," he winked and rolled off my bed. "I got to head out, Nessa wants to meet up for a bite to eat," he spoke.

"Have fun," I replied, smiling softly.

"Would you like to come with?"

"I wouldn't want to be intruding," I denied, pulling the blanket on top of me.

"Oh come on, if out go, you'd be helping me cope with my awkwardness," he joked, bouncing on one leg.

"Shut up, you're not awkward," I laughed.

"You're right, I'm as cool as a cucumber," he sighed, heading out of my room.

"Dork," I mumbled.

"Weirdo," he called back.

I shot up, "so you can hear that, but you can't hear your phone when I'm calling you?" I asked.

"Who says I don't hear my phone when you call?" he winked.

Remind me not to answer when he calls me.

***

"Oh, she came along," Nessa smiled, obviously not wanting me here. I ignored her and smiled. I am not dealing with this all over again.

"She's welcome anytime, right Nessa?" he warned, while we sat don at the table Nessa was sitting at. I was sitting next to Mason and Mason was opposite Nessa.

"Of course, I'm not against three-wheelers," she replied.

"I'm not against fake barbie dolls," I coughed.

"What was that?" She asked.

"I said, what's on the menu," I lied.

"It's right in front of you, maybe you should look," she smiled again, full of sarcasm.

"Waiter, can we order?" Mason interrupted, clearly not wanting to cause a scene.

"What would you like to order?"

"She would like a berry salad," Nessa stated, pointing towards me. I am not the biggest fan of salads...or her for that matter.

"And I would like the vegetarian tacos," she smiled innocently.

"Please excuse me," I stated, and walked over to the bathroom.

In no world, will a girl get in between my friends and family. As I fixed my lip gloss, a bathroom stall opened and a girl walked out. The reflection of the mirror showed me her face and my blood started to boil. Relaxing my fists, I shoved my lip gloss in my bag and hid my face.

"Excuse me," she spoke, reaching over for the soap. "The bathroom sure is nice," she added.

"If only it didn't allow cheaters to use it, it would be have been way better," I replied, looking straight into the eyes of the girl who broke my brother's heart.

Grabbing my purse , I slammed the bathroom shut and marched over to the table where Nessa was trying to convince the waiter to make veggie tacos.

"Can you please cross out the berry salad, I won't be staying," I breathed.

"What happened?"Mason asked.

"I know when I'm not wanted, besides, someone is here and if I look at her once more, she might be walking out with a couple of broken bones," I replied, clenching my purse.

"Who?"Nessa asked.

"None of your businesses, oh my the way, you might want to try the berry salad. It sounds phenomenal," I smiled falsely.

"I'll catch you later," I smiled at Mason and walked away from the table.

Unfortunately, on the way out, I ran into the one person who I didn't want to see...again.

"Can we please talk?" She yelled, running after me.

"Why? So you can explain how sorry you are and that it was a total accident. Heads up sweetie, this is real life. You don't just get to go back and forth between guys and think everyone's okay with it. I trusted you and so did my brother and you let us both down. Don't talk to me or call me or text me; I can't trust someone who did the one thing hat hurt me and my family the most," I screamed.

"Bella, pleas-" she started.

"It's Isabella to you, only friends can call me that. And you? You're a stranger," I snapped.

"Please, don't do this," she tried, and placed her hand on my shoulder.

I warned her, I grabbed her hand and yanked it away.

"Don't. Touch. Me. Ever. Again. You don't have that much makeup to cover up a black eye, so I suggest, you walk away before my hand makes contact with your face," I warned.

"I'm not leaving thing like this," she stated.

"Then I will," I concluded, and in an instant, Mason was by my side. I guess you could say, we made quite a scene.

"I think it's best if you leave," Mason spoke, standing in between Casey and I.

"I'm so sorry, I never wanted this to happen," she pleaded.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but you don't get a redo. Not with our friendship or you and my brother's relationship. That was your choice, not mine," I stated and blew past Mason and Casey.

What did my brother even see in Casey?