C H A P T E R 27

It's been two days since my sickness began and weirdly, it's gotten better. Jake has spent at least two to three hours (per day) talking to me for the past two days. I haven't been racing to the bathroom today so Jasmine, Mike and Caden finally came to talk to me.

Mason on the other hand, has only stopped in my room for three minutes top. He usually asks if I'm feeling well or if I need anything. Which is odd, even for him. I've tried to look past the negative thoughts to why he's ignoring me, but all I could think about is, what I did wrong?

Not that I did anything wrong, it's just the last time I talked to Mason, he seemed perfectly fine. What changed?

"Hey dork, how are you feeling?" Jake asked, coming in with a tray full of cookies.

"Stuffy, I need to go outside," I sighed.

"Come on then, what are you waiting for?" He replied, stuffing his mouth with a cookie.

"Really?" I asked in disbelieve.

"You've been in this house since Tuesday, it's Friday, get your butt out of bed and go outside," he demanded, pulling the blanket off me. "Mason went outside a couple of minutes ago, go join him," he added, throwing some clothes at me.

I caught the clothes, "you don't mind?" I asked.

"Mason seemed upset when he left, you should probably talk to him. But no promises the cookies will be untouched," he teased, winking at me.

"You better leave me one," I warned, pointing a finger at him.

I was wearing an over-sized shirt so I decided to just slip on the denim shorts, that I got thrown and leave like that.

"I'll think about it," he shrugged.

"If you try to eat all the cookies, I will lock you out of my room."

"Alright, I'll save you one," he laughed.

"Good, now I need to try and get past my grandmother, wish me luck."

"Nah, I'm good," he laughed.

"How'd I know you were going to say that?"

"Cause we are best friends," he replied.

"Very true. Alright I'll see you in a bit," I smiled and left my room.

Don't get me wrong, Jake has been amazing these past couple of days, but I need to know why Mason has been acting soo off. Jake even noticed something was wrong when he left, and they're not even friends. Or are they? Being sick makes you miss a lot of things. I just need to know if I did something wrong and if I did; how to fix it.

Mason and I just made up from the outburst Cece caused, I can't lose him again.

Walking outside, I saw Mason walking down the shoreline heading under the bridge. My feet sunk into the warm sand as I ran over to his figure. Under the bridge has been my private area for a few years now, I'd go there every time I needed a break from life.

When the waves crash against the wooden poles that hold the bridge in the air, makes me feel protected and hidden. I have marked the wall every time I've been there.

There are quotes, sayings, drawing and tally marks all made by me. The tally marks how many times I've been hurt, there are seventy-six, and the other column of the tally marks how many times I've been there, a hundred-seventy-nine. It keeps track of my life and the bridge is jut another part of me, well, at least under the bridge is.

"Never thought I'd see you here," I smiled, finally catching up to Mason who made it to the wall.

"Never thought I'd see you here. I thought you were sick," He stated, tracing his fingers along a lion drawing.

"Too stuffy in the house for my liking," I smiled, sitting down on the ground.

"I wonder why," he smirked, joining me. "Did you draw these?"

"Guilty. For every single one," I shrugged.

"Didn't know you could draw. The night we played twenty one questions, you never told me," he replied.

"Didn't think it was necessary to tell. Besides, technically I had to look at a picture to draw it, you can freestyle," I pointed out.

"Same difference."

"What's been you on with you?" I asked, looking straight into his eyes.

"What do you mean?" He asked, avoiding my eye contact.

"Don't pull that crap on me, you know exactly what I mean." I raised my voice. "Why have you been avoiding me? Did I do something wrong?"

"No you did nothing, just not been my favourites week," he answered, running a hand through his hair.

"But why?" I pushed.

"Why do you care?" He snapped, standing up.

"Because your my best friend, it's my job to care," I calmly stated.

"Maybe you shouldn't care as much," he kicked the sand.

"Mason, talk to me, please," I begged, standing up.

"You want me to talk, huh? You want me to tell you what's been bugging me? Because once I start telling you these things, I won't stop," He screeched, facing me.

"I want to know, I need to know," I walked closer to him.

"Well lets start with the first problem, Cece texted me yesterday and told me why she left. She left because she though you and I were a thing! Like what gives her such an idea. We're just friends, that's all we are going to be. Why does everyone think we have to be something in order to hang out? She left because she 'changed me'. If anything she made my life better and brighter. And then she leaves because she gets the vibe that we're a thing. I'm sick of it!" He started.

Ouch.

"Secondly, her not saying goodbye only reminded me of my mother. I didn't tell you the story, did I? I didn't say goodbye to her. I was so stupid! If only I wasn't this stupid child that wanted to go to a friends birthday party. I would've had the chance to say goodbye and hug her for the last time. So when Cece texted me and told me why she did what she did, it only made me think of my mother. I replayed the day she died in my head at least a hundred times in the past two days. It sucks!" Mason screamed. I could see the tears building up in his eyes.

"Lastly, you're blind if you can't see that Jake likes you. He might even possibly be in love with you! And you know why that sucks for me? Because now you have two guys fighting over you! If you haven't figured it out earlier, something drew me to that Ring Toss. You."

"Ever since that day, I liked you! But I didn't tell you because Jake liked you first. You two were made for each other and then there you and me. We will only be friends, but you and Jake? You have a chance but you both are too scared to take it. When Cece came along, my mind was off of you for at least a while, but when she left, the same feeling that I felt at the carnival came over me all over again. So to answer your question, I'm not done, I'm not okay. You did nothing wrong. You're perfect. It's me who messed up everything," he finished, hitting one of the poles and walked off.

Stunned, I grabbed a marker,that is always placed in a corner, and took the lid off.

One tally for being under the bridge.

One tally for being hurt.