C H A P T E R 39

Thank you for the amazing cover SassySatanX  ^^

**

I never realized how big of a hole Joe had filled in my life. Even when I refused to talk to him, he still made an effort to talk to me. Now that he's gone, a part of me is missing, a part that played a big role in my personality. My snide remarks aren't as clever and my sarcasm has dimmed; all the things that I took after my father have shifted and don't feel the same anymore.

My mother isn't taking it well; she hasn't opened her door since yesterday and hasn't put anything into her stomach either. The ring, that Joe have her when they got married, was in her possession and I have sense on why she is having a difficult time with the realisation that he's gone.

The gold rose necklace he gave me hasn't come off my neck since he took his last breath. I'm still trying to register everything that has happened yesterday because part of me doesn't want to convince myself that I won't be able to see him smile, laugh or hear his voice again.

"Can I come in?" A voice asked outside of my door.

"Please do," I cried, knowing it was Jake.

"I'm not going to ask you if you're okay cause I can tell you aren't. However, Joe wouldn't want you to cry. Even if I never spent a lot of time with him, I knew he was an amazing hard-working man. I'm so sorry Bella," Jake spoke softly, giving me a bouquet of flowers and string next to me on the bed.

I take the flowers and whisper, "he's really gone," as I put the flowers on the bedside table.

"He might be gone from this world,but he's not gone from your heart," Jake replied, wrapping his arms around me.

"Thank you for being here," I sighed and dig my head into the crook of his neck.

"I'll always be here, in good and bad circumstances," he mumbled into my hair.

"Right, so someone is moving into Joe's house, so I'll go and pack up your things. Just give me a list of things you need," he stated, kissing me on the forehead.

"I'll go too. I have to get over this somehow. Maybe visiting his former house will help in making me realise that life must go on," I shrugged, looking up at Jake.

"Are you sure?" Jake asked me as he squeezed my hand.

"No, but I doubt I'll ever be," I replied, giving Jake a smile and gently squeezing his hand too. I stood up and grabbed my purse, then headed towards the door.

Jake trailed right behind me, step by step, "wow, how'd I get so lucky?" He gushed.

***

The moving truck was in Joe's driveway and works were running in and out of the house. Furniture was transferred through the double doors.

Jake and I have been sitting in the car for over ten minutes, watching everyone trying to frantically get things done fast.

Part of me wishes I spent more time with him this week, but the other part knows I wouldn't be able to handle it as well as I am now if Joe and I bonded. I wonder how Caden is dealing with this.

"Are you ready?" Jake asked, grabbing my hand.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I mumbled and arose from the car, the house towering over me.

"I'll get a few boxes and I'll meet you in your room," he explained.

"Former room," I whispered.

"I'm sorry?" Jake asked, referring for me to repeat myself.

"I said alright," I lied and began walking to the front door.