C H A P T E R 38

Assumptions.

When you know someone's name, but not their story. Assuming is one of the worst things you could do. Creating lies just for your amusement, and not even asking the person what had happened.

People don't want to know the truth, so their lies keep fooling others.

It's all a mind game, and if you don't know how to play, you lose.

I assumed the worse in Joe. I thought he left because of me, because this family wasn't the family he wanted, because he didn't live my mother anymore.

I assumed so much, but he knew that and never did anything to make me think otherwise.

My fathers journal was in the garbage when I found it. Why is my question? He put all his words in this book, his thoughts and even feelings.

Why throw it away? If it was trash, something happened; has Caden put it in there without realising it was Joe's? I think it's time to confront my father about everything he wrote about. It might come with consequences, but at least we could finally be honest with each other.

Ring...Ring...Ring

"Hello?" I answered, hopping off the tire swing.

"Where are you?" Caden screamed.

"At the river, why?"

"It's dad," Caden cried.

"What happened?"

"He collapses and I can't find a pulse," he replied.

"Stay calm, I'm calling an ambulance," I rushed.

" I already did, they're on their way, find mom and tell her to meet us at the hospital," Caden instructed and hung up.

Rushing, I ran to the front door and banged it repeatedly until my mother with towel on her head.

"Honey? Shouldn't you be with your dad?" She asked.

"He's being taken to the hospital," I frantically gushed.

"What happened?" She replied, her voice cracking.

"He collapsed, please help," I cried. "I can't loose him."

"Everything will be fine, let's go," she ordered.

"Your hair," I pointed.

"I'd rather see if your father is okay, than to see if my hair is," she answered. "He was my first love, remember?"

"Your right," I nodded and ran to the car, with her behind me.

"Slam in them," my mother demanded, referring to the brakes.

"Already ahead of you."

I looked beside me and I saw my fathers journal out in the open, which only reminded me of all the sweet words he spoke, well, written. My mother followed my eyes and saw Joe's journal.

"You know," she mumbled.

"I know a lot of thing, you need to be more specific," I replied.

"About his...disease," she whispered.

"Yeah, and I had to hear about it from his journal. I couldn't tell any of you or this whole situation would've been worse," I snapped.