C H A P T E R 48

Overreaction.

Sometimes that can ruin an easy topic by just one sentence. Words can slip out before you proved them and those actions can cost you a relationship. It didn't come across you that you have hurt someone when you're mad, the guilt of your outburst reminds you that it was wrong to put yourself and your needs first.

"Hey what's wrong?" Jake asked, opening the door.

"My brother is leaving," I mumbled, walking passed him into the house.

"Where?" He asked, closing the door, spinning around to face me.

"College. In Florida," I said, with no emotions.

"That's fantastic!" Jake cheered, making my brows furrow.

"How?"

"Did I miss something?" His smile was hone from his face.

"What part of leaving do you not understand? My brother isn't going to be a room away anymore!" I exclaimed, furrowing my brows.

"Sure, but he's receiving a great opportunity to this college and uncover a whole new world," he replied, shaking his head.

"It's awesome but the fact that Joe died and now my brother is leaving isn't helping," I stated.

"Your father has nothing to do with this. Caden was just as devastated when Joe passed and I'm sure if you were the one going to college, which was miles away, he would get in your way," Jake declared, clearly taking Caden's side.

"You're taking Caden's side?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"There are no sides. Caden has been given this life changing opportunity, and his biggest obstacle is his sister. The one person who's suppose to be there and support him," Jake responded, getting a bit angry at me.

"How can I support my brother when he's about to leave for five years?"

"The same way he supported your choice to not talk to your father in the beginning of summer," he snapped.

"I cannot believe you," I whispered, looking down at my feet.

"You're overreacting about something so grand," Jake calmly replied.

"Maybe overreacting is good, I can see who cares and who doesn't," I spat and walked passed him, reaching for the door handle.

"Bella."

"Drop it Jake. Why don't you call Caden and congratulate him yourself," I finished, opened the door and walked to my car.

"Don't make a permanent decision for your your temporary emotions," Jake called after me.

I don't handle change well. When something comes across me unexpectedly I freak out, and yes, overreact. He has always been there and now that he will be gone, a part of me will be missing.

It doesn't help that everyone is proving me wrong. That everyone is happy and excited for the adventures he awaits. I am proud of him, I really am, but from my side of the story, he's leaving and won't come back for a while.

I have never really thought about what Jake and I would be arguing over for the first time. I guess I never really pictured us in a fight, but to be fair, we haven't talked or a few days. We've both been super busy and it gave me the perfect chance to scream my point. Who would've guessed that our first fight would be over my brother, Caden.

Jake and him have bonded since the beginning of summer; they're not brothers, but they're friends and I could understand why Jake would be happy for Caden's accomplishments. But I wish he could see my point of view.