Chapter 16 - Homework

"And when we're making love
Your cries they can be heard from far and wide
It's only the two of us
Everything I need's between those thighs"

Harley's P.O.V.

After talking with Alix on the phone, I got back to the living room and sat down next to my vovo.

- "So, Alix is coming to see you tomorrow with me. Is that ok for you?"

She looked at me, smiled warmly and nodded softly.

- "Of course dear, you two made me wait long enough. And just because I'm a little under the weather, it doesn't mean I can't be a good hostess right?" She asked showing me a smile and tapping my leg gently.

I gave her a small smile in return. I was worried about her. I know she's playing strong just so I don't get worried, but I'm all she has right now. My dad left, my grandparents died in a car accident before I was born and my great grandpa, my vovo's husband, died when I was 5.

I was mad and sad and worried. Mad at my dad for never being here and neglecting all that this woman did for him, sad that she might feel lonely and that I can't change that and worried about her health.

My grandma cut off my line of thought when she cleared her throat and picked my hand up.

- "You know, I've been thinking lately and I've made a decision..." she looked at me and back at our hands.

I waited for her to continue and squeezed her hand softly to encourage her.

- "I'm getting old sweety. I don't think I should stay alone anymore and I don't want you to worry about me being alone. I think it's time I move into a nursing home." She said softly and waited for my reaction.

I thought for a moment. I really don't like the whole idea of nursing homes, to me it feels like a place where you leave someone who you don't want to have worry about anymore. But, I can understand that she would have someone with her 24/7. Caring for her.

I finally sighed and looked at my vovo.

- "I understand, I might not like it completely, but I get it... and if you want to go, I'll support your decision, but only on two conditions."

She relaxed a bit and breathed out softly.

- "Ok sweetie, what is it?"

- "First of all, I don't want you to go wherever. I'll be the one to search for a good nursing home for you, one that's close enough so I can visit you all the time and a place where I know you'll be treated properly. Secondly, I'm going to help you pay for it-"

- "No!" She cut me off.

- "Harley, that's out of the table, I can agree with the first thing, but you paying for this is not an option. I can handle it."

I breathed in deeply and took both of my grandma's hands in mine.

- "Listen, I know it's hard for you to feel like you're my problem in any way, but you are not. You are the most important thing in my life vovo, and I know you won't have enough money to pay for the nursing home, the meds and everything else. I want you to have everything, I want you to be safe and healthy, I want you to accept this cause I wouldn't be able to live with myself feeling like I left you on your own, so please, please accept it, I'll pay for half of the nursing home. Let me have those two things and I won't argue about this ever again." I pleaded.