Chapter 18 - Sleepy whispers

"She makes the sound, the sound the sea makes to calm me down
She makes the sound, the sound the sea makes. I'm tired now"

Harley's P.O.V.

The past few days have been... well, kind of uncomfortable and weird. Our house seems like it's been hosting a funeral. No one talks, our parents spend most of their time working and when they get home they eat dinner and go to the bedroom or the office, isolating themselves.

Me and Alix can't even be happy that we have more time to be together. We don't even have to pretend arguments cause they probably wouldn't even acknowledge them.

We were having dinner now, Christmas is in 2 days and I'd hate to spend it like this.

I put my fork and knife down and wiped my mouth.

- "Ok guys. I can't take this anymore. Look, I know you are going through a rough patch, but this isn't normal! I love you mom, I know it's hard for you to know that you can't give birth again, I know how much you wanted kids with George, but it comes to a point where me and Alix start wondering if we are actually not enough, are we that bad?" I spoke, finally breaking the silence in the room. Everyone stopped eating to look at me.

A few seconds passed before my mom spoke. Breathing out first.

- "You're right Harley, we have been thinking only of us and we're sorry. From now on there is no more soaking around and no more baby talk. We have two amazing and beautiful daughters and that's way more than enough." She said and raised her glass, which was kind of a weird thing to do, but each one of us raised our glasses as well.

- "To moving on and appreciating what we have." My mom spoke.

I felt Alix's hand on my leg, squeezing it sofly for a second before she pulled it away.

I smiled, I have the most amazing thing right next to me and I sure as hell appreciate it.

_______________________________________

After dinner we all watched a movie and then Alix and my mom went to their rooms. I decided to put away the clean dishes in the kitchen while George arranged the living room. Receiving a text, I took my phone out of my front pocket.

1 new text message from Alix

When you're done maybe you can come and give me a goodnight kiss, maybe a cuddle. Just make sure they're settled for the night. Hurry!

I smiled, pocketing my phone again and continued to clean the counters on the kitchen while singing happily.

I was cut short by George's voice.

- "You look happy! Is it about a new girl?" He asked with a smile on his face.

I was taken by surprise, I think me and George had never spoken about anything personal with each other before.

- "Hum, what? A girl?" I asked, embarrassment filling me as his daughter's image appeared on my mind.

He chuckled as he helped me putting the rest of the clean dishes on the cabinets now.

- "Yeah a girl. Someone's in love hum? The only reason for that kind of smile and the sparkly eyes is someone making you very very happy. Trust me, I know what it feels like." He said.