0069

"Disgusting." Thomas muttered to himself, before nudging  Craig who was sitting beside him. "You see this, boy?"

Unsurely, Craig glanced over to his father, though the drunkard's stare was glued on the television screen. The young boy turned to see what his father was talking about, with the flashing lights reflecting off his face. There was a scene occurring of a man proposing to his boyfriend, and to celebrate such a precious moments in their lives, they kissed.

Confusion seeped through Craig's body as he registered the disgusted look on his fathers face, and no matter how hard he tried to understand, he just couldn't. "Never, you hear me? Never end up like those two faggots."

The harshness of the older mans voice had Craig forcing himself to remain as neutral as possible as he tightly nodded his head. Seemingly satisfied with his sons answer, Thomas nodded to himself before returning his stern eyes to the empty glass in his hand. He needed a refill, and so he pushed himself off from the couch with his heavy hand dropping into Craig's hair as he left.

Swallowing the lump that had formed painfully in his throat, Craig peered over to Ruby who was already watching him with a knowing look in her eye. He frowned at his sisters gaze, before focusing on the hat gripped in his hands, squeezing it for comfort.

The television flashed before little Craig's unfocused eyes as he listened to his parents arguing in the kitchen. He barely heard any sound coming from the speakers as he tried not to hear their latest argument, but sadly, it was all he could hear.

He'd had enough, but as he headed for the stairs, he hadn't noticed his father entering the room behind him, only to wrap his large fingers harshly around Craig's arm. He was stopped in his tracks as he stared directly at the hand hurting him, then his eyes met with his fathers.

"Where'd you think you're going?" Thomas almost slurred. "You don't want to watch sports with your old man, huh?"

"I have homework." Craig uttered. He could see Ruby grinning at him from the couch behind their dad. He could see his mom in the kitchen pretending not to notice what was happening.

For a moment, all Thomas did was stare his son down with a look similar to disappointment, but then he released Craig's arm, and the boy had never been more grateful to have someone turn their back on him. "Go on then."

Not a second was wasted as Craig rushed up the stairs, tripping up in the process, though he didn't care. He could hear his sister following behind him, and he figured she hadn't had the same treatment he had.

Without looking back, he entered his room, kicking the door closed behind him, but Ruby managed to push her way in beforehand. She smiled by the door as she watched her older brother, though it wasn't an innocent smile, but one of sibling rivalry.

'What do you want, Ruby?" Craig sighed as he nested himself within the covers of his bed. He looked to the wall ahead as he heard her footsteps walking across the room, before she sat on the end of his bed.

"I know your secret." She giggled. "And daddy's not going to like it."

Kicking his feet at his sister, Craig peered over the covers to glare at her. "I don't have a secret."

"You do." She said, looking towards her feet as they dangled off the side of Craig's bed. "I won't tell if you just admit it."