0094

It was late at night as Tweek laid motionless in bed. The warmth from within the covers was providing him with a comfort that kept him on the verge of sleep, but sleep, he did not. With a tired yawn, he glanced to his right, quietly watching as Craig rested his head against the pillow beside him, staring up at the ceiling, deep in thought.

For a moment, Tweek wondered what he was thinking about, but then Craig's eyes that were shadowed by the night, flickered over to him, with a small smile forming on his dry lips. "What?"  He whispered, with a hint of amusement evident in his tone.

"I'm going to miss you like crazy."

"I know." Craig's smile morphed into a sad one. "I'll miss you, too."

"Just... don't forget about me, okay?"

"It's not like we're going to different planets, Tweek. We'll still see each other."

Sighing, Tweek pulled the covers further up, to rest against his chin. "You're going to be really busy, though."

"We both will be." Craig agreed, rolling over onto his side to stare at Tweek with tired eyes. "But we'll message each other everyday, and If you're too busy to come back to South Park, I'll come to you once a month."

Once a month. Knowing how little they were going to see each other, caused a knot to twist within Tweek's stomach. The topic was making him feel overly emotional, but he knew he'd have to accept it, sooner, rather than later. He glanced away from Craig, to stare up at the ceiling with a lump forming in his throat. "I don't want to go now." He mumbled in admittance.

"Don't say that." Craig's sighed. "Remember back in eighth grade, when you were really sick and your mom made you stay in bed for a month straight, with no contact, what so ever?"

"Yeah?"

"Just think of it like that. Except, you'll have other people, and you won't be sick." As mentioned before, Craig wasn't good with words, especially analogies. "I imagine it felt good to finally see your friends again. This will be similar. Only better, since you'll get to see me after."

"I guess..." Tweek gently nodded to himself. "...but what if things change?"

"Even if they do, we'll figure it out." Craig replied, watching as Tweek sadly shuffled over to rest his head against Craig's chest. The action made him still in place, and for some reason, his breathing became entirely too controlled. The beating of Craig's heart against Tweek's ear, was like a song for him, and only him. It made Tweek want to fall asleep right there and then, listening to something so preciously enticing. The days were moving too fast, and the nights, even more so. Tweek wished there was a way to freeze time, if only once, so that he could stay in this moment with Craig for a while. Such things were impossible, though, and sadly, Tweek knew so.

"You know what? You're right." Tweek added after a moment of silence. "I survived the most stressful year of my life, so far. I can do this."

But no reply came. A motionless arm rested against Tweek's back. The rise and fall of Craig's chest had evened out, leading the blonde to believe he'd fallen asleep, which he had. Tweek was always envious of how Craig could close his eyes one moment, and then the next, drift off within a matter of minutes. Sleeping had never came easily for him, so now, as he listens to the thumbing of Craig's heart against his ear, Tweek reflects on the past year. Every little bit of In between.

He thinks to himself about all of the chaos he'd gone through, and how immature it all seemed now. Like a movie playing throughout his mind, he sees all of the good and bad moments as though he's right there, living through them, once again. But then he thinks back to when it had all started, during that dumb trip to Denver. He thinks about the secrecy he'd live by, up until the day he'd told Craig he was gay, and how revolutionary it felt to say so.

Without a doubt, his reflective thoughts could have continued throughout the night, but when his phone vibrated from where it laid on his bedside table, the memories ceased to exist— at least, for now. As carefully as he could, Tweek moved away from Craig to check his phone. The bright light caused his eyes to squint in discomfort, before he urgently readjusted the brightness to a more suitable setting.

To see Eric Cartman's name on his screen was a shock, to say the least, even more so when he opened the newly received message. Eric's typing was lazy, with his spelling resembling a child's, but as Tweek's mind made sense of the message, his eyes remained locked in place, momentarily stunned by disbelief.

I thought of all the ways I could torment you about your gayness with Craig, but the best torment was by not saying anything and letting you worry for weeks. The only reason I'm showing either of you mercy, is because Kenny seems to think you're his friend. Either way, I have better things to be doing, so good luck with the boning.

At first, Tweek wasn't sure if he should respond with a 'thanks" but then his reasonable side came into play, realising how stupid that would be. So instead, he lightly smiled to himself, filled with relief, put his phone down, and crawled back over to where Craig peacefully slept.

It was one less thing to worry about. One less obstacle in his way. Now, Tweek felt weightless as he pulled the covers over his chest. He hoped Eric was being sincere, and that this wasn't all just apart of his plan, but then his thoughts went to Kenny. Sweet, not so innocent, Kenny.

For as long as Tweek had lived, he'd believed in chance. It was chance that day he'd been sitting in the park alone at night, consumed with despair. It was chance when he'd scrolled through his phone to find Kenny's contact, and chance that brought them together. It was the same night which was the starting point of their friendship. And now, thanks to that friendship, Eric was letting him off the hook. Craig and Tweek were receiving a pass from the most ruthless bully in their school, and it was all thanks to Kenny McCormick.