•Prologue• Ava

❝Fight for your fairytale

❝Fight for your fairytale. ❞
• • •

|One Year Earlier|

I took a deep breath. I tugged down on my Panic! At the Disco tee, suddenly feeling conscious of my nonchalantly chosen wardrobe. My black Converse suddenly seemed too big on my feet and I was starting to think my black jeans made me look ultra-emo. I didn't want to seem like the kid who was crying out for help, because honestly, I didn't need it. Six of the darkest months of my life had gone by, and yet I was still here, made to rant about my problems; to the same therapist who failed to save my best friend from taking her own life.

My best friend, Skott Everly, was a schizophrenic. She lived in the house opposite mine for five years and the two of us, plus our friend Shay, were very close. Thing is, we always knew there was something off about her. Despite that, we loved her. We loved her so much and she didn't even know. Six months ago, she'd taken her own life by jumping off the terrace of the very same building I was currently in. Shay and I stopped talking after that. Staying near her made it even worse because I felt Skott's absence so much stronger. I guess Shay felt the same way, because not so soon after, she moved away, leaving me all alone.

Just thinking of it brought the feelings back and I struggled to hold back tears. I can do this, I told myself. Coming to this place always had the same effect on me; It brought back too many memories I'd rather forget. Unfortunately, my mother was way too overprotective and concerned for my well-being to give me breathing space and comply to my wishes of grieving in isolation. I waited some more, and was just about to reach into my bag and pull out my headphones, when the door swung open.

A girl with straight platinum- blonde hair and striking blue eyes walked out. I could feel my heartbeat racing as I stared at her, open-mouthed and eyes probably the size of Jupiter. She smiled when she caught me looking, and I feigned one back in her direction. "Holly,"she said, and extended a hand to me. I shook it, the faux smile still etched onto my face. I cleared my throat. "Ava."

We stared at each other for a few seconds, not knowing how to continue the conversation without it seeming oddly cliché and forced, until finally, she waved a little goodbye and walked away.

I went into Julia's office still quite shaken up from the encounter with the girl, and I could tell she sensed something was wrong. "Are you okay?" She asked gently, standing up from her desk. I nodded, wrapped my arms around my chest and let out a long, wistful sigh. "She's everywhere. I see her everywhere. I can't let her go."

Julia gave me a long, knowing look. "I felt the same way for a very long time. I always blamed myself for it; maybe I could've done something more. There had to be a way to stop her. Especially since I was the last person she'd seen before....." She took a staggering breath and swiped her hand across her cheek. "But then, I realized there's no use crying over spilled milk. It's over."