•Day 55• Holly (contd.)

"I'm here," Ted panted, holding onto the doorframe for support

"I'm here," Ted panted, holding onto the doorframe for support. "What'd you want to tell me?"

I let out a shaky breath. "It's a long story. Come take a walk with me?" I asked, motioning outside.

"I just ran all the way here. Cut me some slack, woman," Ted groaned, but upon noticing my grim expression, he visibly stiffened.

"Okay, come on," he said anxiously, shutting the door behind me.

"Now spill. You're freaking me out," he said, chuckling nervously.

"We have to get our parents back together," I blurted out, knowing it was a mistake the moment the words escaped my lips.

I had to be cautious around Ted. According to Dad, his and Daisy's opposal was the reason behind the breakup. Dad wasn't bitter about it, but he made it clear there was no other reason. My validation was above everything else.

"We already talked about this," he grumbled, not meeting my eyes.

"No, you and Daisy did. Hear me out," I said coldly, and he flinched.

"Holly, this affects me just as much as it affects you, so if I say no, it matters equally."

"Actually, Ted, this decision concerns neither of us. It's between your mother and my father."

"And they've already made their decision. They chose to do the right thing by breaking up," he said calmly, but his tone was laced with anger.

"A decision influenced by you and Daisy!" I shouted, enraged. "Let me ask you this. Be honest. Has your mom been this happy after your father...?"

I felt guilty bringing up a wound that never healed, but it was a good tactic. I was speaking on behalf of our parents, so I had to get all the points down.

"She needs time to move on," he said aggravatedly.

"Time? What time? There is no time!" I shouted, losing control of everything. I was letting it slip; all the pent up anger and grief was oozing out of me and I couldn't put the cork back on the bottle.

"Granddad and Charlotte would've been the perfect match if they'd met twenty years ago, right after Gran passed away. But they didn't. Their love was lost because they didn't have time, Ted."

I started to sob despite all my efforts to keep it under wraps. I wanted to put my brave face on, but I couldn't find it. Ted made no efforts to comfort me, knowing full well that that would just make it worse.

"I don't have any time left. All I want is for my father to find what my grandfather found in his last few months. I want my dad to have a family after I'm gone. Eve's already left to start her own life. He has no one left."

This time, Ted couldn't refrain from pulling me in for a long, tight hug. "I want my mom to be happy too, but I'm worried, Holly. What if this ruins everything for the two of us? We've been friends for so long. What if they end on a bad note and I lose you forever?"