•Day 33• Brynn

❝When the wicked want to bring down the innocent, they aim for a  loving heart

❝When the wicked want to bring down the innocent, they aim for a  loving heart.❞
~The Evil Queen
• • •

Deep inside, Holly knew who she was, and that person was smart and sarcastic, charismatic and sweet, and sometimes terribly rude, but somehow her personality got lost somewhere between her heart and her mind, and she often found herself switching into someone she was not.

Elody took over the intelligence, Daisy was the ray of sunshine, Alora was the queen of sass and Holly was the glue that held them together.

What was I?

Why, the scissors that tore them apart, of course.

Julia once told Holly that if she wished too hard for something, her subconscious would behave as her magic lamp. When she strove for academic proficiency, she developed an alter in the process. Elody then became in charge of that department. The same had happened with Alora and Daisy.

But what happens when you wish for something you know is forbidden?

What happens when you start wishing your curse away?

When Holly started to despise her disorder and the way it was affecting her life, all she wanted was her memory back. She wanted to know what her alters were thinking, she wanted to feel the emotions as if they were her own. She wanted to put the pieces of her personality together again.

And that's what she got; Brynn Mills- the hidden fourth alter. I was the only one who knew about the others. Although Holly was the host personality, I was the one with the power. Power I could misuse.

No one knew of my existence. I walked into Holly's mind when I wanted to and left as I pleased. I fed memories into the other alters' minds for amusement and sometimes impersonated them when they were getting too boring.

The time when Elody got ahold of Daisy's memory of Will asking her out? That was me.

The time when Daisy remembered the characters from the book Elody was reading? Also me.

The time when Alora became a Potterhead? All thanks to me.

Holly was the puppet master, but I pulled the strings.

I worked backstage most of the time, and did a few cameos, but I was finally ready to steal the show. When the curtains dropped down, so would Holly.

. . . .

"Ellie, what do you call Santa's elves?" Dad asked, as I headed straight for the front door. I had to hand it to him- He was good at guessing.
But not good enough.

I was wearing a cropped navy blue sweater with white stripes, black jeans and brown combat boots.
I wore the boots to throw him off, being the only Alora item in an Elody-inspired outfit. I had to transform Holly's wardrobe. That place gave me nightmares.

"Subordinate clauses,"he said brightly, then laughed at his own joke.

I stared at him in faux confusion. "Who's Ellie?" I asked, completely ignoring his terrible excuse for a joke. Though I had to admit: he was a total sweetheart for saving up grammar puns just for Elody.

"Sorry, sweetie. I'm having a bit of a headache this morning. I was up all night talking to this client and her name was Elody. She was so chirpy it made my ears bleed. Just like your music choices," he added, trying to invoke a reaction from me to confirm his suspicions of me being Alora.
Wise move, Old Man.
But two can play at this game.

"Dad, I need you to drop me off at the mall later. I just realized that my wardrobe needs a major makeover."

He blinked at me in shock. I could almost see him striking out Holly in his mind. Holly would buy clothes when Will stopped loving her- never.
So if I wasn't Elody, Alora or Holly, who was I?
"Dad, I think you should get a client whose name is Brynn so that you won't forget my name again,"I laughed, and he chuckled nervously, the confusion evident on his face.

I could envision him running to call Ava in the next few seconds, no doubt explaining all the events of the morning in excruciating detail so that she could be prepared when I walked into her car.
Luckily for him, when I walked outside, she wasn't there yet. Unknowingly, I'd bought him some more time for his warning call.
Which meant that Ava now thought I didn't know who she was.
Which also meant that I now had to walk to school.
At least I wasn't wearing heels.

Praise the Lord for giving Holly a horrible fashion sense.
. . . .

"Hol-od-or-" Will was walking up to me with a bouquet of roses, but stopped himself mid-stride when he noticed my outfit.
Dress to impress? More like dress to distress.

He was still fighting with Ava, which meant that he was still a lost sheep. He had no clue about what happened this morning, what with my grand introduction.

"Right? This hall odour is killing me. I wish they'd just spray some perfume in here."

"Or some bug spray. It'd do us good to get rid of some pests,"Ava joined in, looking pointedly at Will.
Oh, man. I can tell why Holly likes this one.

I flashed my winning smile and tossed my hair behind my shoulder. I snatched the roses from Will's hands and made a grand dramatic gesture of smelling them. I wrinkled my nose in distaste and dropped the roses to the ground, simultaneously witnessing Will's face drop.
"So that's where the smell was coming from. I hate roses,"I snapped. I gave him a menacing glare, then walked away with my head held high.

Ah, Holly. You're lucky I didn't impersonate you.

I guess it all comes bottling down to one question: why did I hate Holly so much? Truth be told, I didn't. It was just human nature for me to break down all the walls she built, destroy all the friendships she'd made and bring out the ugly side of her.
Personality-wise, obviously. I couldn't pull off ugly even if I wanted to.

This whole Project Mirror, Mirror crap that Will was going on about? I wanted to be a part of it.
I needed to work on the inside in order to ruin Holly's life further.

And for that, I needed to get Will to fall in love with me.

. . . .
A/N What did you think?!?
Let me know ALL your thoughts in the comments!
Click the little star at the bottom of the page if you liked the chapter!
~Via