•Day 17• Alora

"I'm heading over to the grocery store, Lor,"Dad said, then chuckled

"I'm heading over to the grocery store, Lor,"Dad said, then chuckled. "Hey, that rhymed!"

I shook my head, laughing. "You're in an awfully good mood, Dad. Did you meet someone there or something?" 

He thought about it for a second, as if he wasn't sure how well I'd take whatever he was going to tell me. "Well... sort of,"he muttered.

I gasped. "No way! And you didn't tell me,"I pouted, which was something I normally didn't do. But I was a sucker for love, what could I say?

Dad smiled cheekily. "Well, last week I told the cashier a pun- and might I say she was a hot one-and she burst out laughing. Ever since I've been going to the grocery store twice as often and every time I see her I tell her a joke."

God, the things people did when they were in love. I wanted to throw up. But I had to admit, it was kind of cute too. "Aw, Dad. That's adorable. Can I meet her some day?" 

Dad considered it. "Well, I'm yet to ask her out, so let's not think ahead of ourselves."

I laughed. "Okay, I better go,"I said, hearing Ava's car pull up in the driveway. 

"Not so fast, Young Lady,"Dad said, putting a hand on my arm to stop me. "I have to tell you my daily pun first."

I rolled my eyes but couldn't keep the smile off my face. "How could I forget,"I muttered. 

"If you see a robbery at an Apple Store, does that make you an iWitness?"

He actually got me at this one. I couldn't help but laugh at the stupidity of the joke. "Now I know why that cashier loves you so much," I said sarcastically. Dad chuckled. "I sure am one of a kind, aren't I?"

"See you, Dad,"I waved, then shut the door behind me and made my way towards Ava's car. Upon seeing me, she put down her phone and observed me oddly for a few seconds, then asked,"Alora, what's the best way to break up with someone?"

"You give them a sock and tell them they're a free elf," I said without hesitation. Then it finally dawned on me. "Don't tell me you're breaking up with Ted."

Ava laughed like that was the most absurd thing she'd ever heard. "No way. I was just checking something, it's nothing to worry about," she said, and waved her hand as if telling me it wasn't worth questioning. I sat in my seat quietly as she started the car. We drove to school in silence that day, and I wasn't quite sure what she was testing me on. I knew better than to ask her about it, but still a part of me was willing to do anything to get the answer. 

When I made my way towards my locker, I saw her. 

I knew it was finally time to talk to her. I'd figured it all out, everything made sense. "Hi,"she said, when she noticed me approaching. Her voice was thick, yet delicate. She looked cute and girly, yet fiercer than anyone I knew. She was a walking, breathing oxymoron. 

The other day when I'd seen her crying in the hallway, I never got to ask her name. I wanted to know her. I wanted to help her. I needed someone to talk to. 

"I'm Alora," I said, extending a hand awkwardly. I was terrible at social interactions. I needed someone to save me from this situation before I made a bigger fool of myself. 

"Hey, Alora!" I heard a voice pique up from behind me, and nearly groaned. This was not the time. Yes, I did just internally say I would do anything to escape this awkwardness, but I didn't really mean it! 

"Will,"I said, smiling through gritted teeth. He didn't seem to notice. "You're wearing your glasses!" He said, and I laughed, remembering the night before, completely forgetting about the pretty girl standing behind me. The memory of that night brought back so many emotions I didn't have the energy to feel at that moment. I just wanted some normalcy in my life, even if it was only for a few seconds.

When I turned around, she was gone, and I realized there was no point chasing after her. 

There was a cute boy standing right before me. I should be distracted by him, not by everything other than him. "So I am," I grinned, pushing my glasses up my nose. 

"You look wonderful,"Will said, and right at that moment, Ava and Ted approached us, hand in hand. Gosh, why were they so cute? 

Ava and Ted shared a look, and I suppressed the urge to throttle them both and just make them spill their secrets. Why didn't I have someone I could share secret looks and crack inside jokes with? It wasn't fair. 

Will caught my eye and I knew we were both thinking the same thing. That would've been cute, but to me it felt like that made the situation a thousand times more pressing. I couldn't have been more frustrated with myself.

Ava winked at me once Ted and Will were engaged in a conversation, and I felt like running away. Why didn't she understand what was going on in my mind? Why did I find it so difficult to open up to her?

I told Ava I wanted to get to class early because I needed to clear some doubts in the previous day's homework. It was a lie of course. I'd do anything to get away from that conversation. 

Right when I walked in, I saw the one person I'd wanted to talk to since the first time I'd met her. 

When I saw her, I got lost in those eyes all over again. I realized I'd been staring, and blushed, shifting my gaze to the floor. I made every moment seem so much more awkward in my mind. Really, they weren't that bad. I hope. 

"Hi, I'm Emma,"she said. 

A/N ANOTHER HIDDEN REVELATION! But remember, I haven't confirmed anything yet, so take your guesses!

Until the next chapter~

Via <3