•Day 55• Holly

Eve and I were like different flowers from the same plant

Eve and I were like different flowers from the same plant. Our shoots would grow through the different phases of life, but our roots would always be entangled.

We'd grown apart from the moment she chose to move away for college. Neither Dad nor I expected it, so naturally we were both a bit betrayed that she'd choose to uproot her life. That all changed when I found out why she'd moved. She wanted to take over our mother's legacy. She needed to fulfill the dream our mother never lived to see come true. I knew that once Dad found out, he'd be just as delighted.

Although I knew that Eve and I would never go back to the way we were before she'd left, I was happy I still had her in my life. We didn't talk every day, so the gap between us had widened over the months. She didn't know the daily happenings in my life anymore. What strengthened us before was the fact that we knew everything about each other.

But I was happy we still had one thing, just as we always had: love. That's what's most important.

"You ready?" I asked her, as she fidgeted with the hem of her t-shirt.

"I guess so," she said, heaving a sigh. "Do you think he'll approve?"

I nodded firmly. "Positive."

"But what if he thinks I'm only doing this for Mom and not for myself?" She asked, flustered.

"Are you?" I challenged.

"Of course not!" She said exasperatedly.

"There you go. Nothing to be nervous about, then," I said, shrugging.

"Well, what if he's all sad that I didn't let him in the loop and pulls the betrayal card on me?"

I thought about that for a moment. "To be fair, he's still betrayed you left..." I said uneasily, and she pulled a face.

"But surely you can understand why. Eve, you packed your bags and suddenly announced you were leaving. What was Dad supposed to do? He's at the hospital full time and the only person around to take care of me was a grandfather I didn't know existed until after he was gone," I said, with a sinking feeling in my chest at the mention of Mr Kes- Granddad.

Eve looked like she was going to cry, so I quickly retraced my steps. "Look, I'm not mad at you anymore. I bet he isn't either, but you can't blame him for being a little hurt after what you pulled on us. The least you could've done was told us earlier. I also understand why you didn't tell him before, but let him be sad if he chooses to be sad. He'll come around eventually," I said realistically.