•Day 51• Ted

❝It's silly, isn't it? You could be surrounded by the people who love you, but you think about the ones who don't

❝It's silly, isn't it? You could be surrounded by the people who love you, but you think about the ones who don't.❞

• • •

"What's up with you?" Will asked, as if it weren't obvious. 

"Oh, nothing. It's not like my girlfriend left me for good even after we cleared the misunderstanding or anything," I snapped, then began to regret taking my anger out on him.

"Wow, and the only thing she left you was her sarcasm."

I sighed. "Will, drop it."

"No, we have to talk about it sometime!" he exclaimed frustratedly. 

"And why do we have to do that? We never talked about you and Thea, did we?" I shot back.

"Look, it's messing with your game. You've been playing like shit the past week! This is unlike you," he said, completely ignoring my low blow. 

"Who cares about the game?" I yelled, forgetting that we were in the middle of the field, amidst my whole team.

"Well, they do," he said, gesturing to the rest of them. Some looked amused, some betrayed and some concerned for me. I ignored all of it and walked straight ahead. I knew I was being a terrible captain and if I continued with this absent-minded behaviour any longer, I'd be thrown off the team, not just lose my captaincy. Coach would murder me if I kept this act up any longer, but I still had the weekend to brood. On Monday, I'd have to welcome a fresh start. A new Ted. 

"Ted, stop being a drama queen," Will called after me. 

"Leave me alone," I shouted back. 

"Are you on your period?" Will asked. 

"Yes, I bloody am," I said, then heard the whole team laugh in unison. It took me a second to replay what I said, and then I gave myself a pat on the back for a good pun. 

I walked out of there before Will could try any harder to get me to talk about my feelings. The last thing I wanted was to admit to anyone other than myself that I was still in love with Ava. It was probably obvious anyway, but I still couldn't get the words out.

 I knew it was the right thing to get over her, and I knew I deserved better than someone who didn't trust me. But.... it was Ava. My Ava. Used to be my Ava? I didn't know what was wrong with me. 

It was half past six by the time I made it to the bookstore, right on time for work. I already knew I was going to be working the shift alone, since my boss didn't hire me a new partner yet. It was about time he did, but I wasn't complaining. I liked the solitude.