•Day 15• Ava

Daisy was slowly replacing me

Daisy was slowly replacing me. I could see it happening right before my eyes. One day she'll just come waltzing in with Ashley and proudly announce that she's her best friend. All that I've done for her, all the times I stuck by her, when she was herself, Holly and Alora would be insignificant. I wouldn't matter anymore. 

Even my own thoughts repulsed me. Why was I acting like the jealous type all of a sudden? What happened to the 'no feelings' Ava?

"Ava didn't care about friendship that much,"she'd said. She didn't realize she hand't hung up the phone yet. She was thinking aloud, and I'd been the unfortunate soul to hear her. I couldn't push back the feeling of utter betrayal from my mind. Did she really think I didn't care? Did she really think I wouldn't notice if she was slowly starting to replace me? Oh, now I was beginning to sound like Ashley when Daisy and I had first started hanging out. Now I finally knew how it felt to be in her shoes. 

But still. I'd been there for Daisy countless times before. It hurt me that she didn't even consider that when she said those words. If only she knew how much I had to put up with, being her friend. 

I buried my head in my pillow, trying to keep myself from tearing up. I needed to be strong. For Holly. She needed me as her support system. I wasn't going to let her down because of this jealousy. 

Suddenly, my phone started to ring from my bedside table. I went to check who it was, curiosity getting the better of me. I didn't want to talk to anyone at the moment, but I still wanted to see who cared enough to call me up at nine PM. Seeing it was an unknown number, I almost declined the call so that I could  resume my pity party, but then I realized I could never have a good night's sleep not knowing who the mysterious caller was. 

"Hello?" The person on the other side of the line didn't answer immediately, and for a second I thought that maybe I didn't pick up on time. But then, I heard someone breathing softly, as if contemplating what to say. Finally, "Ava?" said the voice. 

I was overcome with a flood of memories. I could feel the held in tears slowly welling up in my eyes. I tried to calm myself down, but to no avail. This was impossible. She was calling me. After six months, she finally had the courage to speak to me. After abandoning me in this desolate town, she still thought we could mend our broken friendship. 

"Shay." I said her name with not even a touch of emotion. I didn't want to dive headfirst into an argument, but I didn't know how to keep the bitterness out of my voice. After all she did, how could she expect otherwise?

"I need to talk to you." She said the words in a hurried whisper, as if saying them faster would make me less angry. I didn't know why she wanted to talk to me now, after all these months of silence. "What is it?" I asked, dropping my voice down a notch to match her level. I sounded concerned, like I really cared for her. I could tell she noticed it too because she had a sudden surge of courage to venture forth in what she wanted to say.