•Day 36• Brynn

"This party is the absolute worst

"This party is the absolute worst. I mean, it looks so last-minute. That music? Trashy. The drinks? Crappy. And don't even get me started on the people. Who the heck are these people? I swear, I saw this guy who looked about thirty in here. It's a high school party, dimwit! I wouldn't have come here if I hadn't seen it on everyone's stories. God, social media is a lie. People actually made it sound fun,"I said, ranting to Elody's little curly-haired friend. What was her name? Raelyn? Renée?

"Okay, these people? Definitely not leaving anytime soon,"Ava said, walking up to us with a grim expression on her face. "The best I can help you with is cleaning the vomit off the carpet once they leave." She paused, lost in thought. "Actually, you know what? I think I'm better suited to supervise you as you clean the carpet." Her face scrunched up in disgust. "On second thought-"

"Wait, this is your party?"I asked, surprised. I wasn't in the least embarrassed for my rant because uh-hem. The party was terrible and that was a fact.

"More like my brother's. I am going to murder him when this nightmare is over,"she said, muttering the last part under her breath. Ava and I shared a look, both of us highly tempted to laugh. 

"I'm going to go find Austin and beat him up for you because we both know you're too nice for that,"Ava said, turning on her heel to leave. Suddenly, she looked back at me. "Hey, Brynn- I think Will was looking for you earlier,"she said. My ears perked up. This was my chance to get him to fall in love with me. 

"Hey, Raelyn-"

"Riley, actually,"she interjected. 

"Same thing." I shook her off. "Where do you think Will might be?"

She looked delighted at my show of interest. "Last I saw him, he was near the dance floor. God knows why people are calling it that, it's clearly just a littered living room with some music, but-"

"Thanks, Raelyn,"I said, cutting her off so that I could leave. I enjoyed seeing her frustration when I called her that.

"You're welcome, Britney,"she retorted.

"It's Brynn, actually,"I corrected her coldly. 

"Same thing,"she shrugged. 

I smiled to myself, proud of Holly and Elody's friend choices. To my surprise, they weren't nearly as dimwitted as I'd initially believed.

As I scoured through the crowds of people, hoping to catch sight of Will, my breath stopped short. There he was, dancing, just as Ava had told me. But dancing with another girl. 

It wasn't sadness that came over me in that instant. Only anger. He'd betrayed Holly. Although it was my job to oppose anything Holly said or did, she was me and I was her. We shared a mind. At the end of the day, I was just another voice in her head. I smiled when she was happy, I cried her tears. I felt her emotions. Right then, I knew that seeing them, all she needed to feel was anger. 

I trudged up the stairs with a heavy heart and broken confidence. I'd trusted Will. The only reason I wanted him to fall for me was in order for him to complete this Project Mirror, Mirror of his. That, and to see whether he truly loved Holly as much as he claimed. My job was to play devil's advocate. I needed to test Will to see whether he could fall for Holly despite her flaws and imperfections. I was the imperfection, and he'd failed.

"Who are you?"A voice asked, startling me. I gasped. A boy with dark brown hair and the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen stared up at me from the corner of the room. I could tell that the room belonged to Riley from looking at the polaroid banners strung on the wall and the guitar that was lying on her bed. "Brynn Mills,"I answered in a confident voice, flashing my fabulous smile at him. 

He grimaced. "Okay, bye,"he said, waving me off. 

"Why the hell are you in Riley's room?"I asked, ignoring his comment.

"Why the hell are you in Riley's room?"he asked, mimicking my tone.

"Well, I asked you first,"I said immaturely.

"I came here first,"he retorted, sounding equally immature.

"Why'd you come to this party if you're going to sit here by yourself?" I asked, mentally cursing myself for sounding more concerned than I'd intended. 

He smirked. "Sorry, Princess, but I'm not inviting you to give me company. You can leave now."

I hated the effect his words had on me. "I didn't want to give you company!"I said, sounding shrill with annoyance. What was wrong with me? I was usually the one insulting people, not the other way around!

He grinned, happy that he was getting to me. "Farewell,"he said, waving to me again. 

"Why are you so grumpy? Missed your beauty sleep, huh? You probably need lots with a face like yours..."I shrugged, then observed my nails to add dramatic effect.

"Maybe you should eat some makeup so you can be pretty on the inside too,"he said sympathetically, getting up from his corner like he was preparing for war. Honey, it's on.

"Zombies eat brains. You're safe,"I said, remembering a joke my dad had told me once.

"I've got plenty of street smarts, darling,"he flashed me a disarming smile. So first of all, he's good at this. Why does he have to be good-looking too?

"Sesame street smarts?" I asked, breaking my cool façade by laughing.

"Do you just sit at home searching up insults on Tumblr all day?"he asked, laughing with me. Caught.

"Well, you did it first,"I said lamely. 

"I came here first,"he said. We both rolled our eyes at the same time, then started to laugh.

"I'm pretty sure I saw her come up here...."I heard someone drawl. I could hear footsteps approaching up the stairs. The panic was written all over my face.

"Are you sure? Do you think she's okay?" Someone who was definitely tipsy asked worriedly. The voice unmistakably belonged to Will.

"Oh there she-"

I leaned in towards the boy with the beautiful eyes, planting my lips on his without thinking any of it through. Go away, Will. Anything for you to go away.

"Jenga!"Riley giggled to herself. I knew she was a giggly person in general, but this was bad even for her. The party must have driven her crazy. That, or she was drunk. Will threw her a quizzical look. 

She started giggling again, then said,"Your life,"she said. 

"It's falling apart."

. . . .

A/N Guess who the guy with the beautiful eyes is!