•Day 41• Daisy

~Peter Baskerville• • •

~Peter Baskerville
• • •

The big game was on Saturday, and that meant I had to work extra hard to get back on Cassandra's good side in order to land myself a front row spot. Being short, I was usually placed in the front by default, so I wasn't used to working my way up the rows. Now, I had to prove myself worthy. 

"Daisy!" Will called out, rushing to give me a hug. I gave him a quick peck on the cheek and an apologetic smile. Not today, Daisy. You have the big game coming up, I reminded myself.

"I have to go," I said hurriedly, pointing towards my locker. He looked hurt. "Do you need help with that?" he asked, motioning towards my duffel bag, which held my cheer uniform. 

"Aw, I'm sorry, Will, but I can't be late," I said, turning on my heel. "I'll meet you for lunch, though," I added as an afterthought, not bothering to hear his response in fear of wanting to stay back with him. I needed to win that front row spot. I needed to.

"Daisy, hi!" I heard a voice chirp from beside my locker. Ugh, what was it with everyone wanting Cassandra to hate me?

I turned to see Thea, Ted's sister. I was surprised to find her there, because as far as I knew, her locker wasn't anywhere near mine. The fact that we'd never talked before was an additional obscure observation. 

"Um, hey!" I said cheerily, trying my best to mask my puzzlement. She smiled at me eagerly, and I raised my eyebrow. I was very tempted to ask her what she wanted and why she was staring at me so oddly, but I didn't want to be rude. 

"Can I help you with something?" I asked awkwardly, when I realised she had no plans on making a move. I think she finally took that as her cue to leave. "Uhh, no, I just wanted to tell you you looked nice today," she said, and I gave her a confused smile. "Oh, um. Thanks!" Awk-ward.

I decided to push it past me, thinking solely about the upcoming game. Everything else was second priority that week. Except Will. Okay, no. Will too. I had to be in the front row.

I opened my locker, and was instantly filled with a sense of dread. There, staring back at me, was yet another letter. Of course, me thinking that they'd disappeared was too good to be true. Rumours didn't just die out. This one was definitely about Will. Something about how I was going to break his heart, or how he'd dump me when he found out I was a slut. I didn't have it in me to care any longer. 

I tore open the envelope and pulled out the letter to be faced with the exact same handwriting yet again. Something kept nagging at me to just throw away the letter and forget it ever came, but another part of me was dying to know its contents.

Dear Daisy, 

I know this is going to sound crazy, but please-

Thea walked towards me, concern filling her eyes. I too felt pretty nervous about the outcome. "Do you think this is going to work?" I asked, suddenly doubting myself.