•Day 44• Daisy

❝Don't wait for things to get better

❝Don't wait for things to get better. Life will always be complicated. Learn to be happy right now, otherwise you'll run out of time.❞
• • •

Rain was pouring heavily outside my window. Trees were billowing in the wind and the sky had taken on a darkish grey hue. I could feel my heart thumping wildly at the sight. It reminded me of something, of someone, but I couldn't place what it was. My mind was drawing a blank. As the sky shed its tears, so did I.

It was odd. I didn't know why I was crying, but my heart acted like it was nothing out of the blue. I'd been feeling down all day. Apparently it was written all over my face, because Dad even came in and told me a few of his jokes to "lighten the mood". I tried calling Will several times, but he never picked up.

Was he mad at me? Did I do something wrong? I considered the possibility of his absence being the reason behind my terrible mood, but it didn't fit together. Will was great and all, but I didn't depend on him every second of every day for happiness. That was a limit I couldn't cross.

"Holly?" Granddad called from my doorway. I lifted my head from my knees and swiftly brushed away the tears.

"Oh, honey, don't cry. He'll come back to you, I'm sure of it," Granddad said gruffly, wheeling himself into the room.

"Who, Granddad?" I found myself asking. Surely he didn't mean Will. It'd only been a day. Surely I couldn't be crying over something so silly, right? Surely.

"That fella of yours, William. Nice lad, that one. I've seen how happy he makes you. He won't be gone for long, Holly."

"Daisy," I said softly, breaking into a smile. His eyes crinkled. "Ah, see, there's the smile I wanted to see. Now don't go crying over these boys, Holly. That's mine and your father's job when we walk you down that aisle."

"Woah, Granddad, I'm just seventeen!" I giggled.

"I know," he said, with a wistful smile. "And that means you still have so much time left, Holly. Don't waste it. Before you know it, you'll be grey and wrinkly just like your old man." He let a chuckle escape his lips and I leaned forward to give him a peck on the cheek.

"He might need some time off right now, your young lad, but he'll be there to see you in his black suit one day."

"Oh, Granddad stop making me cry harder!" I fussed, furiously wiping away tears.

"Come on, now. Get out of this room and cheer up. Charlotte's here and I want you to join us in the kitchen. Your father and I decided we should play a good game of rummy."

Granddad loved to play cards. He said it was his and Gran's favourite past time back in the days. It was sweet how he kept her memory alive in the smallest of ways. I wondered if people would do that for me after I left.

"I'm in!" I said, hopping off the window seat and following his wheelchair into the kitchen.

Charlotte looked lovely as always in a midi floral dress with a pashmina cardigan thrown over it. I threw her a warm smile and slid into the chair beside Dad.