•Day 30• Will

You can never understand why people do stupid things in love unless you've experienced it for yourself

Holly and I went from being childhood best friends who drenched each other with water guns on hot summer days, to lovers who gazed at the stars in each other's arms on cold winter nights. 

But it wasn't a bump-less road. We had to endure the seasons in between as well. Spring was all about change. After the spring of my sixteenth birthday, neither of us were the same. That was the phase when I'd started getting closer to Thea, and Holly's jealousy was evident. We started fighting, and at one point, stopped talking altogether. We ignored each other for months on end, until finally, on the day of Holly's birthday, I knocked on her window with an apology. The rain was soaking through my clothes, but the smile on my face couldn't be washed away. 

With a grin to match my own, Holly opened the window and clambered outside. I shrugged off my jacket and placed it on her shoulders. As the rain embraced us in its chilly grasp, Holly and I kissed for the very first time. Our friendship died that day. But as it did, love ignited. 

By Autumn, the two of us were just as close as we'd been before silence had built its wall between us. It wasn't just the leaves that fell that season. I did too. I fell in love with Holly. 

The mistake I'd made was not realizing sooner how much she'd meant to me. I never should have seen in Thea what Holly already possessed from right beside me. And here I was, having made the same mistake twice.

"Mr. Mills! How are you? Is Holly home?" I asked, as the door finally opened. With Ava ignoring me, it was close to impossible to keep track of the days. Although showing up at Holly's doorstep wasn't the best idea in case one of her alters opened the door, I had no other choice. 

"Hiya, Will! Elody's at Riley's house, actually... Didn't Ava tell you?" Mr. Mills shot me a curious glance that soon morphed into one of sympathy. I think my face betrayed all my emotions because he put his arm around my shoulder and led me into the house, murmuring something under his breath about making me tea. 

"How long is she going to be there?" I asked, trying to sound casual. It didn't work. 

"I don't think she'll be back until dinner, actually..." Mr. Mills said, shooting me one more of his pitiful smiles. He started to rummage around the kitchen to make the tea, but I told him it was unnecessary. I probably looked a mess, else he wouldn't have complied. 

"What's she going to do after dinner?" I asked, sounding terribly desperate. 

"She's going to wash her hands, of course."

Maybe it was the nerves, or the casual manner in which he said it, but I couldn't stop myself from laughing. Mr. Mills placed his hand on my shoulder. 

"Will, I don't want you stressing yourself out about this, okay? It's incredibly difficult to put up with Holly's alters and the fact that you're even trying is quite amazing. She really loves you for it, you know?"