•Day 23• Holly

Some days I'm Van Gogh's starry night and other days I'm his suicide letter

Recently, I'd started gaining more flashes of memories from my alternate personalities, and it terrified me. There was a reason no one told me about my life as Daisy, Elody and Alora. If I found out too much, it could possibly trigger something in my mind that could enable me to either forget everything and adopt a new personality altogether, or I could recollect all the memories I'd made as my splits and choose to be just Holly forever.

Just Holly. That seemed like a faraway dream that could never come true.

"Do you ever regret this?" I asked softly, looking into Will's expressionless face. His reply was almost instantaneous.

"Why would you even ask that?"He asked, turning his head straight ahead towards the empty road. It was dark outside and Dad wasn't home yet from work. We were seated on the front porch, relaxing after a fun-filled day in each other's company.

The most special part about my time with Will was that because it was limited, we both put in all our efforts to make each and every second together memorable.

"Answer me, Will. Look at me and tell me how you really feel." This, however, wasn't one of those memorable moments. I needed to know the truth. I needed to know if this little time on our hands was enough for him. I needed to know whether Holly was enough.

He looked into my eyes with a burning passion I'd never seen before. "I love you, Holly. That's how I feel. That's how I'll always feel. Whether I see you once a week or once a month, I'll always love you."

"That's not what I asked,"I said, hating myself for ruining this moment. But something inside of me needed to know. I needed to know if I was worth fighting for. I needed to know if we were worth fighting for.

He pulled me in closer towards him, and placed my hand on top of his. He took off his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders silently, and I nestled my head into the crook of his neck. His gaze was still locked on the road in front of us.

"I'm not going to tell you that your condition doesn't make me sad, Holly. If that's what you want to hear, then I'm sorry. I love you so much, but it pains me to know that only one part of you loves me back."

I could feel my eyes brimming with hopeless tears. Not this again, I scolded myself. Every time we were together and decided to have a serious talk, it ended with the both of us in tears. We couldn't keep running in circles forever. My life was never going to get better. It was always going to be like this, and it was going to be a lot better if both Will and I accepted this once and for all. Nothing could be changed but our mindsets. And if he believed in this relationship like I did, he'd be satisfied with even the few memories we made together.

"Then why do you choose to stay? It hurts me to see you hurt, Will. Why are you doing this to yourself?" I asked, furiously wiping away the tears. If he saw me crying, he'd feel inclined to tear up as well. That's just how he we were. If I was upset, my mood almost instantly reflected upon Will's.

The question hit him hard. He looked into my eyes and his face fell. His emotions were so raw; painted on his face like scars, each one to represent a time when my condition took me away from him. Each one to show a time when I had let him down.

"Because I love you, and it hurts me more than anything that you don't know how much. You'll never know how much. Each moment I spend with you makes up for every day I don't spend with you, because just being with you makes the clouds a hue darker and the rain pour heavier. Just being with you makes the sky open up and raindrops fall to the ground. Just being with you means the world to me, Holly. Whether that world lasts a day or even a minute."

"But what if that world crumbles to dust one day? What if Holly herself disappears one day? Then what?" I asked, my voice wavering. Tears were starting to blur my vision all over again and I struggled to hold them back.

"Then we'll build a new one. I'll introduce myself to the new you and we'll start our love story from Once Upon a Time all over again."

I was starting to grow frustrated. Why didn't he understand? I was going to hurt him terribly one day and he knew it, yet he still chose to stay. Why? Why couldn't I understand why?

"Why would you do all that when you know there will never be a happily ever after?"

It was more like Happily Never After. I was starting to dig myself a pit of self pity and attempted to bury myself in it. I didn't deserve Will. He cared too much, and that was going to be a problem eventually. He needed to know when to give up on me.

Before I could say anything more pessimistic, Will kissed the top of my head and gazed at the blanket of stars covering us. I followed his gaze and let the beauty of the stars burn out every last shred of fear I had in my paper mind. No amount of anguish could tear it, so long as I had Will beside me, writing fairy tales in every blank space.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of silence, he spoke."Because every day that ends with you in my arms, watching the night sky together on your front porch, is Happily Ever After to me."

. . . . . . . .

A/N Will and Holly chapters are my favorites <3 Although they're always bittersweet, their tragic love story is what draws me in to write more. Do you think this story will end in a bittersweet tragedy like All the Best People Are, or do you think I'll finally warm my stone cold heart and give you a happy ending? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time~

Via