•Day 2• Holly

❝I forget how to love myself most days

❝I forget how to love myself most days. But I keep trying. I keep trying. And that alone is a victory. ❞
~Alison Malee
• • •

Every day was different. I could feel it. I could feel myself transforming into someone new every morning, but within seconds, I couldn't remember a thing. I was different. I was changed. I was a stranger to the old me. I could also tell when people avoided telling me things in the fear that I would explode of emotional turmoil or overthinking. I knew when they kept me in the dark to protect me. And I willingly let them.

I, more than anyone else, knew that my mind was capable of destroying me. Most times I wasn't even in control of my body. My subconscious was a powerful thing, my therapist had told me. So powerful that it was like a person itself, controlling my body as it saw fit. As much as that terrified me, a part of me found that fascinating; I felt emotions so strongly that they became people themselves.

"Hols, Ava's here!" Dad called from the kitchen. Dad was always very particular about not mixing up my splits. He knew that my reaction wouldn't be the most pleasing thing if he'd called me by a different name. Before I could ponder over it too much, however, Ava showed up at my room.

"Your dad warned me it'd be messy,"she said, eyeing the clothes dumped on the floor, the books littering the table and the bedsheets lying disarrayed over my bed. I winced. "Sorry, it tends to get messy when I'm lazy to clean it."

She laughed. "So, you mean all the time?" I playfully punched her arm. "You're acting like my dad!"
She shrugged. "Your dad's cool, so I've got no problem with that." I raised my eyebrows in a look that suggested 'you have got to be kidding me'.

We were just making our way to the front door, leaving for school, when Dad showed up. "Girls! Do you want to hear a joke?"

I groaned. My dad couldn't get more embarrassing. Ava, on the other hand, nodded her head in excitement. For some reason, however sarcastic and emotionless Ava was all the other times, when it came to my dad's jokes, she laughed really hard.

"Dad, we've gotta go," I said, pushing open the door. 

Ava shot me a threatening look. "No, tell us Mr. Mills!"

Dad chuckled. "See, at least Ava appreciates my jokes! If only she was my daughter."
Ava laughed and I pouted. 

"Fine then, I'm going to go live with Ava's parents. They're so much cooler, anyway."

I knew it was a joke, but somehow I couldn't help but think how different things would've been if Ava was my dad's daughter. He'd not have as much trouble taking care of her, for one. He wouldn't need to worry about four different people in one body. And he most definitely wouldn't have to worry about her losing her memory and forgetting him forever one day.

Especially with Eve away at college, it got extremely lonely at home. Dad was always at work; he couldn't help it, there was no other way to pay off the bills and he wouldn't even think about letting me get a part-time job.