•Day 56• Ava

According to Julia, every one of Holly's alters had a trigger

According to Julia, every one of Holly's alters had a trigger. So long as that trigger was pulled, the shots wouldn't be fired and the alters wouldn't die. 

Our new plan of action was to protect Holly's alters. Project Mirror, Mirror was slowly evolving into something else entirely. 

So far we'd been able to identify that Brynn's trigger was insecurity, Elody's was her love for reading and writing and that Daisy's was Granddad. We were yet to find out Alora's, but we were assuming it had something to do with rock music, the colour black or coffee. 

With Granddad gone, Will and I were finding it increasingly hard to fuel Daisy's trigger and keep his memory alive. There were only so many stories we could share on a daily basis.

 Eventually, we would run out of things to say, the pain would slowly fade away, and with it, so would Daisy. 

Today, we'd decided to open up Granddad's chest full of treasures and personal belongings. Will and I initially felt like we were crossing a boundary of some sorts, since we weren't even his grandchildren, but Mr. Mills assured us that it would be best for Daisy if she had her best friends by her side. I didn't tell Mr. Mills about the triggers or the plan to keep Holly's alters alive, in fear of his rejection of the idea. Sometimes he could be very skeptical about anything revolving around Holly, simply because he cared so much for her. It took a while for him to even get on board with Will dating Daisy, but he was happy that she was happy. 

"Are you sure we should do this?" I whispered to Will, right before we entered Granddad's room.

He nodded. "Daisy needs us." He was about to enter, when I put my hand on his arm to stop him. 

"Not that. This. This whole thing," I gestured around me with my arms. "Messing with Holly's alters to keep them alive. Is all of this a good idea?"

Will shrugged nonchalantly, and I wanted to slap him. "I don't know, Ava. We'll never know unless we give it a try."

I sighed. "Either we try to do something ourselves or we leave fate to decide. Why are we meddling? What if that makes it worse?"

"And what if it makes it better?" He challenged, then walked straight into the room. I didn't try to stop him this time. 

It wasn't like Will to be so calm about all of this. Something had changed. It was the way he carried himself, like nothing was wrong with the world. His eyes no longer bore that air of sadness. I wondered what had come of him. Maybe, at long last, he was at peace with fate. He'd come to terms with the fact that Holly would leave us some day. I admired him for it. 

"Do you think Granddad would want us to open his stuff?" Daisy asked nervously. She looked like she was going to cry any minute now, and I couldn't blame her. I knew it would be mere minutes before I'd crack too. Granddad's passing had deeply impacted all of us.