•Day 48• Ava

❝Your heart and my heart are very, very old friends

❝Your heart and my heart are very, very old friends.❞
• • •

"Ava, I really need to talk to you," Elody said through the phone. My heart sped at the sound of urgency in her tone.

"What happened?" I asked, worried, and then I could hear her adorable laughter through the phone.

Seriously, I hated girls who could sound cute when they laughed. I couldn't say the same of Holly, though. She sounded like a dying seal. That made me feel a lot better about my Darth Vader laugh.

"Oh God, I'm so dramatic sometimes. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm just having a crisis with the annual production script. Help?" She asked miserably. Now it was my turn to laugh.

"You're asking the girl who uses a plethora of swear words to describe everything known to man for writing advice?"

She groaned. "Swear words are still words, Ava, and besides, I need your help with the story. I can manage the writing. Somehow," she added uncertainly.

"Well, um, sure," I said meekly. "But I don't know what you're gonna get from me. I'm about as interesting as a rock."

"Rocks are the most interesting specimens in the world to sculptors. They just need some carving to become masterpieces. Just like your story," she said. 

"Okay, first of all, cringe," I said, disgusted. "Second of all, are you telling me my story isn't already a masterpiece?" I teased, and I could already envision the classic Elody blush tinging her cheeks. 

"I-I didn't-" she started, and I felt my heart melt. Why couldn't Holly be this goddamn adorable?

"Don't worry, I was just kidding," I chuckled. "Now when do you want to see me, Picasso?"

She hesitated. "I hope it's not too much to ask for, but can you come over to mine? My dad's not been in the best shape since Mr. Kessler passed away and I want to keep an eye on him."

Mr. Kessler. The way she said his name without even a flicker of recognition tore me apart. 

"Of course," I said immediately.

"Oh my gosh, thank you so much," she gushed. "I really hope it's no problem," she said nervously. 

"Elody, it's not a big deal at all!" I assured her, smiling. Holly was just as angelic once. Before I came in and made her a monster, that is. It wouldn't be long before I ruined Elody too, I thought with a smile. 

"Thank you," she said, so sweetly that I wanted to reach in through the phone and give her a massive hug. "I'll see you in five," I said, hanging up. 

I'd started walking towards her house the moment she'd called me in that worried voice, so I was already halfway there. 

Project Mirror, Mirror was consuming all of my time and although I prioritised Holly before anything else, I was starting to worry about what I was going to do with my life once it was all over.