•Day 47• Thea

❝Genes so nice, they made them twice

❝Genes so nice, they made them twice.❞
• • •  

It's okay to be the single girl who's picky as hell when it comes to men. It's okay not to push yourself to comply with someone else's needs and requirements. You can be happy without a man. You can be happy sailing your own ship and ruling your own heart.

Besides, I'd already promised Ted that he'd always stay the number one boy in my life. I couldn't change that, now, could I?

Alas, I was in quite the quandary, as my mind thought all these things, but my heart longed for another. 

I tossed my head this way and that, propped my legs up, lay on my back, paced the room a few times, closed my eyes for minutes at a time, but sleep never came my way. Exhaustion hit me in waves, yet my thoughts put a barrier between sleep and I. 

Deciding to make myself some tea, I hoisted myself off the bed and tiptoed out of the room and onto the landing. As I passed by Ted's room, I noticed the stream of light coming from under his door. I knocked softly, afraid that Mom might wake up at the sound. Thankfully, Ted opened the door before I could knock any louder. 

"Sleepover?" I whispered, and his lips immediately formed a smile. He opened his door wider for me to come in, and I gingerly made my way into the room. Ted and I shared a room until the year Dad died. Ever since then, we'd grown distant, and built our walls up higher around each other. We didn't stay up late and whisper all of our secrets under the light of a single torch. We didn't communicate using only a variety of expressions. We didn't have a connection anymore. The day I lost my father, I lost my twin too.

"Couldn't sleep?" he asked, making room for me on the bed. I shook my head and tucked myself in, waiting for him to join me. He followed suit, then turned so that he was facing me. "I couldn't either," he whispered.

After we'd moved into separate rooms, we still had our 'sleepovers' when we couldn't sleep. Maybe it was a weird twin thing, but whenever I couldn't fall asleep, Ted couldn't either. Somehow, I felt like Ted already knew that I wasn't able to sleep that night and was waiting for me to come to his room. 

"Ava?" I asked, at the same time that he said 'Will'. We both cracked a smile.

"How did things get so messed up so quickly?" I asked softly. 

"One minute I was with Ava and Project Mirror, Mirror was perfect, and the next thing I know, you're in love with my best friend and he kissed you! What the hell happened?" His tone didn't suggest anger. More like concern, and that pulled a chord in my heart, knowing that he still cared for me. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered, at a loss for words. What did he want me to say? That I never really liked Will and that was all a huge misunderstanding?