•Day 5• Ted

There was no animal shelter

There was no animal shelter. There was no community service, no theatre club, no 'extra errands', too much homework or any other excuse I'd used to getting out of hanging out with my friends.
There were all made up.
If they found out I'd been lying to them all along, they'd never forgive me.

"Ted, where's Mom?" My twin Thea shouted from the kitchen. "She's working late today!" I shouted back, throwing my coat over the rack and making my way towards her. When she saw me approaching, she asked me how work was. I sighed. "As good as working at a bookstore can get," I answered.

She put her hand on my shoulder. "I seriously wish I was the one working at the bookstore. Babysitting is the absolute worst."
I laughed. "Got any offers this week?"
She nodded sadly. "Friday night. I was looking forward to it because Ralph and I were going bowling, but then I got a call and I knew better than to shut it down. It's not like I'm getting that many offers to begin with. I wish there were more kids in this neighborhood...."

Our dad died a few years ago in a car accident. He was the breadwinner of the family and ever since, we were running low on money. Mom never liked to talk about the financial issues we were facing, but Thea and I knew there was no way she would be able to get us through this solely with her teaching job. There was so much we had to think about- college, long-term career plans, rent, and the list went on. We had to start helping her at least in our own menial ways.

"You doing anything tonight?" I asked her as she made herself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She shrugged. "No, I don't think so. It's already late and it's a weekday... I'll probably get some studying done."
I nodded. "That's the sister I know."
She frowned. "What's that supposed to mean?"
I chuckled. "You're such a goody-two-shoes. Work always done on time, you study well before the exams, you're always helping people out and I doubt you could ever break the rules."

She grimaced. "You make it sound like a bad thing."
I had to crack a smile at that. Most people got offended when they were told they were too good. Thea, on the other hand, prided herself on it. She was very determined not to change herself for anyone.
If she was a good girl, then so be it.
Everyone loved her for her strength in mentality.

She was a social butterfly, but without the drama. She was more of the sidelines kind of girl, but everyone would come to her for a shoulder to cry on. That way she got all the gossip, but didn't have to take part in any of it. I admired her for that. Not that I'd ever tell her that, though. 

Thea and I were close once; inseparable, even. We balanced each other out- me being the loud one, her being the quiet, me being the athletic one and her the academic. We drifted apart as we grew older, however. She started hanging out with a different group of friends and I became close to Will, who in turn introduced me to Ava and Holly. We barely had the chance to interact anymore, above all, because of my work schedule and her babysitting. 

"Want me to make you one too? You look tired," she said, gesturing towards her sandwich. I smiled. "You're the best." She smiled back at me. "I know I am."

And honestly, she was. Most others complained about their siblings all the time. Will and James hadn't spoken in months, it was war every time Eve came back home and Ava complained every time she was left in charge of taking care of her little sister Allie. Although me and Thea weren't as close as we were before, we still got along. We never fought and almost always agreed to do simple favors for each other. I mean, how hard was it?

Or maybe that's just something that changed after Dad died. Thea and I stopped complaining entirely after he was gone. We realized there really was nothing worse than that day so there was no use getting upset over anything anymore. We'd endured and overcome so many obstacles after that day, together, that we didn't know how it was possible to live without one another. 

I remember so many nights when we sat together in either her room or mine, sharing memories with Dad and helping each other cope with the loss. We had a bond that couldn't be expressed in words. We knew we had each other and that was enough for us. 

"How's Mom? I haven't spoken to her in a while. Not properly, at least. If she doesn't come late from work, I do, and we never have time." Thea looked up at me and then shook her head in dismay. "I've never seen her more stressed. Remember that day when we told her we got jobs? She was so upset and for some reason, guilty. She said she felt terrible for not being able to support the family by herself and having to get our help." I nodded, and she continued. 

"Well, she's about ten times worse than that right now. I'm not sure why. I think she wants to quit her job. I mean, the school doesn't pay her enough, anyway, but she's scared to. She's worried she's not going to find anything better to compensate for all our expenses."

"Quit her job? Why? She's worked there for years! We studied there once! Quitting would be like letting go a huge piece of her," I said, shocked to hear what Thea had said. The montessori school Mom worked in, Jigsaw Puzzle, was like a second home to us. She couldn't quit. Besides, she loved that job more than anything.

Thea shrugged. "Honestly, Ted, who can blame her? It's not like she has much of a choice at this point." I shook my head reluctantly. "Then I'm going to help her. I'll work throughout the week instead of just half. I'll work longer shifts." 

Thea sighed. "When are you going to realize that you have a life of your own to focus on? What about school, time for yourself?" I placed my hands on the counter. "I'll find a way. If I found a way to manage half a week, surely a full one won't change much."

Thea shook her head in disappointment, but managed a tired smile. "You're a lunatic, you know that?" I gave her a side hug, then got up from the kitchen, ready to retreat to my room. "Love you too, sis."

• • •
A/N A little insight into Ted's life!!
Hope you liked it.
Let me know your thoughts on Ted's and Thea's relationship.

Until the next chapter~