•Day 59• Cassandra

"

"... and I told her that my girlfriend did that too, and she actually did a double-take as if to say 'WHAT? You. A girlfriend. No way' and- Cass, are you even listening to me?" Jai broke off his rant to stare at me as I scanned the locker room, feeling as though I was not alone.

"Yes, yes, yes. Sorry," I said, grinning at my phone screen. I couldn't let him know that I was afraid of being overheard. I mean, how would that make me seem? Like I was ashamed of being associated with him? Probably.

But then again, it was true, wasn't it? Every day, I made sure to come to the locker room during lunch, when I knew that it would be empty. It was just because of the way I portrayed myself, not because of him, I thought, for about the millionth time. It was the only thought that satisfied my conscience.

I loved Jai. He wasn't the issue here. It was more to do with my tough, no-nonsense, me-before-you attitude. I made it seem as though love were a foreign concept to me and that nothing could be prioritised over my future. Which, then again, was completely true, because I knew Jai thought the same way.

We were both competitive souls who wanted nothing less than a six-figure salary, a house with a white picket fence and people to boss over. Having perfectly aligned goals was pretty much all it took for us to fall head over heels for one another. 

Whispers. I scanned the room quickly for any signs of people, but soon dismissed it as my paranoia.

"Then she asked me if she went to my school or lived in my complex or something, and I told her she lived in another continent and she actually laughed out loud. Hands on her stomach, tears in her eyes kind of laughter! I mean what-"

Whispers. Again. I could make them out more clearly now. They were coming from the janitor's closet a few feet away. I tuned out as Jai continued to ramble on about his aunt Parvati who couldn't believe that a total nerd like him could land a girlfriend, much less an exotic  blonde one. Hey, her words, not mine. 

I slowly tiptoed towards the closet, turning my phone volume down so that they couldn't hear my boyfriend's oh-so-interesting tale through the door and get alerted of my presence.

"It's her handwriting for sure!" Gasped a voice, followed by a loud 'shush' from another. 

"Where did you find this?" Asked the first one, who was beginning to sound vaguely familiar.

"She's in Bio Lab with me. I never would've guessed it. For some reason, I just assumed that all the splits had the same handwriting. Come to think of it, I've never seen any of theirs except for Elody's, 'cause she takes English with me and I'm always borrowing her notes."

"Thea, this is some serious stuff," said the voice that I now identified as belonging to my former best friend, Veronica. 

I made an attempt to move closer to the door, and in the process, accidentally stole a glance at my phone. Jai was then moving his hands angrily in front of the camera, clearly frustrated with me for not listening to him. I made a gesture with my hand to indicate that I needed a minute, then proceeded to eavesdrop once again.